There's some shameless capitalism going on here. How much did you pay for
your daughter's turntable?

Until the 80s/ 90s a turntable was the cheapest Hi FI component and I seem
to remember that the rule-of-thumb cost was about 15% of your basic Hi Fi.

I've been poking about in Hi Fi shops for about a year now (still plucking
up the courage to tell the wife it's time to buy a new record player ;) and
in both the UK and FR turntables are eye-wateringly expensive, with the 15%
going up to roughly 50%!

Damian

BTW the reason I want to buy a new Hi Fi is 1. to be able to plug an iPod
or MP3 player into it, and 2. because I'd like to buy my needles over a
counter rather than the hit-and-miss mail order method that is the only
option today for my rather old equipement.