Hello

Here are my last two updates to family and friends.  If I don't answer
texts, emails, phone calls, please do be offended. Days and nights run into
one long nightmare that I cannot wake up from.  My sister and brother-in-law
leave on Sunday. I will miss them terribly.  I have to deal with this on my
own and I will.  As long as the prayers continue, I will endure.  Thank you
for your concern,

Paula x

Hello all. The latest on Steve. They have determined that it is not his
immune system; he does not have swine flu so not masks are not longer needed
and his door is open to allow fresh air, his white blood cells count is just
started to curve downward. He may infection and possibly more than one. He
still has the ventilator in to feed oxygen in but now the breathes taken are
his own. They are trying to bring him around slowly but if he shows any sign
of panic or if his breathing becomes laboured again, he goes back under. His
body needs him distracted to work as hard as it is. The doctors are very
careful to advise that he is still in very very critical condition and it
could still go bad. Doctors have to say this. I am grasping for any bright
spot in this situation. They have taken a biopsy of the skin on his legs to
test as they do not have any idea what he has. Hopefully the tests will be
complete tomorrow and the will tell them something or they go back to more
testing. They have taken him off some of the blood pressure meds, but his
heart still requires help. He is getting some nutrition directly into the
stomach through a tube going in his nose and down to there. He is not going
to be happy to wake up to stuff like that. I have been talking to him about
all the people out there who are praying for him and loving him in there
wishes to get well. On behalf of myself and his children and grandchildren
and all the rest of his extended family, we thank you from the bottom of our
hearts. I will update you as and when there is something to report.

Update  - Spoke to the doctor today (20/2/2014) with Louise (his daughter)
there.  His room door was closed as he had a watery stool and they are
checking that nothing has entered his intestine, so we wait for more test
results. The liquid nutrition continues. The skin biopsy may take a week to
come back with a result.  It could be viral or a bacterial infection.  The
circumstances of him getting whatever this is is a chance all of us take
everyday and it just happened that he came into something where, as the
doctor said, there was a gap in his system that made it possible to it to
get into his system and run rampant.   If it is viral all they can do is let
his body handle it, with them keeping him stable, and hope his heart keeps
going.  If it is bacteria, they should have something in the antibiotic
arsenal to help him.  They are bringing him out of the coma to fine out if
what he has is affecting his brain and any other function. If he panics or
becomes "unhelpful" to the point they have trouble doing what they need to
do for him, then they will put him under.  His liver, and lungs are okay.
His kidneys are not particularly okay and his heart goes into mad rhythms
sometimes.  They say he is stable so we will hang on to that. He could go
either way, but I am putting my hopes on him beating this. At least they are
weeding out what it isn't and right now that list is bigger. When he turns
the right corner and starts to come back to the world of the living instead
of the half life that he now exists in, our lives will start heading in the
normal direction and I will be able to function knowing he is beating this.
Until them, I pray and I live in a fog but keep going.  I tell him everyone
is out there praying for him on both sides of the pond.  If prayers and love
can heal, he will be on his way to coming back to us.  Thank you for all you
are doing. xx