 From: Rick Duniec <ri...@ntlworld.com>
To: Leedslist@gn.apc.org
Sent: Thursday, 20 March 2014, 8:54
Subject: Re: [LU] Bates

You have identified one of the great Bates myths where you say "our allegedly
enormous ongoing debts".
The Truth is that the vast bulk of the debt had been dealt with by the actions
of the Krasner group. Bates actually said this himself when he originally
arrived but that has been swept under the carpet in the convenient mythology.
The bulk of ongoing debt was in fact football creditors and that debt eroded
over time as it was paid off. There were some overhanging issues (contingent
liabilities) but the overhanging debt problem had been largely overcome. That
is the tragedy of Bates' involvement. He kept the club needlessly mired in the
pit when it should have been emerging from the darkness. He shifted the blame
onto Ridsdale and partly in the fans eyes onto Krasner just as he did onto
Mahwhinney and the FL. It's all lies.
That's also why our recovery has been much slower than at other clubs. Think
about it. How can we wipe out the debt through administration, have much bigger
income streams than our rivals and yet still continue wallowing in a financial
mess ?

That is why a whole new set of creditors was created, as a tool for Bates to
use to take the club into administration.
Nobody has ever explained what the money from these new creditors was used for
and it is to easy for people to assume that it was a carry forward of the
Ridsdale debt without thinking about it. That is what most of the media do
today. The truth is that there is very little real connection between the
Ridsdale debt and the club going into administration under Bates several years
later. You could even view the debt under Bates as the physical manifestation
of his milking the club. What else was the money (the new debt) used for ?

It a similar picture the the Plc shares. Your loss of shares when the Plc was
wound up was nothing to do with the subsequent Krasner or Bates tenures, as you
rightly say. There is no real connection.