I agree. Obviously Gerrard's time is up - there's no way he can play CL
football and It'l football at his age - and the thought of a midfield of
Chamberlain, Barklay, Wilshere and Lallana is quite cheering, isn't it? I worry
that the defence is mediocre, but what can you do, eh?

Here's an interesting article from last year about how Germany took their
disastrous Euro 2012 - they even lost to England! - as a catalyst for revamping
their development system. Which has resulted in the discovery of Muller, Kroos,
Hummells, Schurrle...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/may/23/germany-bust-boom-talent

Ed.