From: leedssongs.com <p...@leedssongs.com>
To: 'Leeds List' <leedslist@gn.apc.org>
Sent: Wed, Dec 31, 2014 4:01 am
Subject: [LU] Derby

Woke up today and realized it was not a dream. The worst game of football I
can ever remember having watched on TV.

Credit (again, and as always) to our travelling supporters, amazing to be
sing like that for 90 minutes plus extra time!

On the pitch we are clueless. Two main problems: we don’t have a defence.
And we don’t create attempts on target. We are in fact nowhere near creating
attempts on target.
Add to this a non-existing midfield... Oh well.

We lack on-field man management. The extended arm for the manager. The man
able to shout around. The man that can conduct a bit out there. Motivate
(even when everything is more grey than the London rain).
Gordon Strachan springs to mind. We need this kind of midfielder. A former
premier league general, that might be willing to a season or two with us
before he retires for the sofa...

We also need to play our talents. I see no point whatsoever to bring in the
likes of Adryan, and put on the bench. Such players should be the first
names on the team note, and if they are not good enough for that, send them
back home. We can fill the bench with players from our own academy...

Derby looked almost as bad as us, until they scored. Eh, that is, until we
scored for them. That sort of changed the game. The little air that was in
the Leeds balloon, went out. Typical for a team in our situation. Both that
we scored for them, and that our performance dropped to below zero when it
happened.

Here comes man management into the picture. My question is if our caretaking
manager (yes, that was the official title on the telly screen,
caretaking...) is good enough in this area. There is no doubt about his
skills in terms of growing talent and developing players, but to manage a
team, is needed something more. I think we need a manager. A person with
experience from English football. A person with experience from English
championship. It is about two thigns, basically: the mind games before the
game (motivation, tactics, what have you, make the players wanting to bleed
for the shirt and each other, making them know what to do etc), and the
ability to change things around during games dependent on game development.

We looked completely lost. Like we did not want to be there. Like we just
had to walk around and then take the bus back home. Very sad.

Not long ago, we would say Derby were there for the taking. And I mean it.
They were actually very bad. The only thing they did all game, was the free
kick and header leading to second goal. Oh yes, that is right, they actually
tested our goalkeeper once in addition. TV was showing highlights from other
games after. And even considering they were only highlights, it looked like
they were games in another league. So much more speed, effort, attacking,
running, trying, working, what have you...

Thank you for 2014, folks!

Øystein