Reading the full judgement it does seem as if Bellusci was 100% innocent, his
version was consistent, made sense and pre-dates him knowing what the
allegation was (rather than him thinking up some tale afterwards)
I hope this puts the whole thing to bed and removes any 'mud sticking' that may
have attached to him with the 'kick it out campaign' or whichever group it was
who said they were not happy and wanted to take it further. The video of
Chelsea fans that is all over the net today shows there are still problems but
on this occasion LUFC employee was innocent - I hope the full judgement gets
the same amount of publicity as the original charge
From YEPThe FA commission heard that Bellusci told Jerome “ti faccio un’occhio
nero, pezzo di merda”, an Italian phrase which translates as “I will give you a
black eye you piece of s**t.”Jerome’s version of Bellusci’s remarks differed,
alleging the repeated use of the word ‘negro’, but the commission’s findings
said the striker’s “understanding of Italian was much more shaky and incomplete
than the sense conveyed by his initial reporting to the match officials.”It
added: “Mr Jerome had learned some ‘choice’ Italian words during his time at
Cardiff City from an Italian player whom he befriended.“Mr Bellusci has been
consistent throughout in his evidence as to the words used by him and that he
said the word ‘nero’ only once in a particular context. He maintained that case
during his evidence before the commission.”The report concluded: “Mr Jerome’s
evidence has been inconsistent in certain material respects which inevitably
have an adverse affect on the reliability of his evidence as a
whole.“Accordingly, where their recollections differ, the commission prefers
the consistent evidence of Mr Bellusci to that of Mr Jerome, specifically in
relation to the word that forms the basis of the alleged aggravated breach.“On
the balance of probabilities we find that Mr Bellusci used the word ‘nero’
once, in the context that he claims, and that Mr Jerome misheard or
misinterpreted what was said as ‘negro’. Once that misapprehension was planted
in his mind, Mr Jerome’s reaction to it was entirely understandable.“We
therefore dismiss the charge in its entirety.”According to the findings,
Bellusci’s evidence was strengthened further by the fact that he told a member
of United’s staff that he had threatened to give Jerome a black eye before he
became aware of the precise nature of Jerome’s allegations.The report said:
“Any suggestion that Mr Bellusci has used the word ‘nero’ in order to
‘manufacture’ a case to fit in with ‘negro’ is undermined by the timing of his
reporting to a Leeds’ official what he claims to have said, which preceded him
first becoming aware of the racially abusive word that he was alleged to have
used.”