It's a lot harder to get the Strachan type signing these days though. The
likes of Terry have earned more money than they will ever need, and so are
less motivated to drop down through divisions. Add to that the inevitable
highly lucrative offers from the US, China and Middle East. It's why Joey
Barton, for all his shortcomings, was a unique opportunity last summer.

We have to complete in the right market - I really can't see us getting the
likes of Howson simply due to wages. Better to be picking up the very best
from below / around us (whether domestic or foreign). That's how we built
the Gradel-Snodgrass-Howson-Kilkenny-Johnson midfield that we haven't come
close to since in terms of quality. In that sense Cellino was on to
something with his Serie B fishing expedition when he first came -
(partially) right idea, wrong market.

We need a quality commanding centre-back who leads, assuming we can't keep
Bridcutt, we need to replace him. Then we need probably 2 creative / wide
midfielders (am assuming Carayol will not be retained), and finally 2
strikers with pace. Likely also a new keeper - personally I'd tell that
young lad who is holding out on a new contract that we'll gamble and make
him number one next season, as he seems highly rated.