Unbeaten in 3 and a clean sheet - good start ? F'ck that, yesterday we were
shite and deserved nothing against a lively but average Preston team.
The day started well in the sun with plenty of smiles and optimism in the 4
pubs I visited but around 2:15 things started to go downhill as we ventured
down to the't our  Queens Hall to get the P2. Apparently (so one of the
stewards informed us) the buses had been leased out to another company for the
first two games so 'they aren't our buses and aren't our drivers' - great ! It
was a farce and the police had to step in to avoid confrontations as people
realised that they were going to miss the kick off. We managed to get there
just in time for kick off but hundreds didn't.
They didn't miss anything because right from the off you could see that we had
nothing to offer and were being outplayed by a Preston team who seemed highly
organised and competitive. We went with the same team as against Bolton (yawn).
Why has TC adopted Gary Monk's tactics ? Doesn't he have his own and doesn't he
realise that these are the tactics that failed us so disastrously towards the
end of the last season.
We line up with a 4-3-3 with two guys playing as wingers who aren't wingers and
on that performance aren't good enough. Roofe has never been good enough and he
really should be returned to the 4th division. Lightweight and unable to win
50:50 battles, he was just muscled out at every opportunity by the Preston
defender. He also has no pace, plays with his socks half up and just looks like
someone from the crowd who has come on to have a game. Rubbish. Allioski also
doesn't look comfortable to me on the wing. He was more lively than Roofe but
he didn't make anything happen. Wood was playing on his own against 2 strong
centre backs. I know there's people on here who think Wood is God but he could
do little today in that formation and when he did get a good chance he fluffed
it in spectacular style. I would have done better with the one on one.
However, the attack can't do much when there's no midfield behind them. It was
clear to me that Bolton gave us the run of the pitch last week. Yes Philips,
Hernandez and O'Kane had all the space in the world to get forward and dance
around with all the time in the world. It was obvious to me that today would be
different and in game we played last season and this season a midfield of those
3 would not be good enough and we will lose. Good luck to Phillips he got his 4
year contract on the back of that performance , I would have dropped him 100%
for this game and anyone who has watched Leeds for the past 12 months will tell
you that Philips is behind Vierra and Bridcutt when it comes to ability and
midfield nouse. O'Kane tried but showed he's just a journeyman with nothing in
his locker.
At the back we started really shakily with Jansson looking like he'd enjoyed
his break a little too much and our top man Ayling stuggling at right back.
They did improve and overall apart from shaky moments late on when they
threatened to win it with ten men we looked ok.
As for the game, first half - nothing to report from both teams with neither
keeper making a save. Second half, TC dragged the hapless Philips and Roofe off
(credit for spotting they were struggling) and replaced with Saiz and Vierra.
We looked better and started to create some chances. Wood squandered the one on
one, missed a couple of headers and showed his lack of ability when he failed
to direct a volley on target after it being teed up for him. Their keeper made
a decent double save from someone (?).
They then got a man sent off and went in to defensive mode. Saiz came on and
tried to make things happen - Thomas Brolin for me and he looks a little small
to make an impact. Let's see. Vierra just passed square balls around.
They then realised that we had nothing to offer and decided to counter attack
and nearly nicked it at the end with two great chances one of which hit the bar
with our keeper flat footed.
Booes rang out at the end from the Kop and someone behind commented that's the
last for him this season at £34 a time. Don't blame the fella , it was awful.
Scores:
Felix - 3. The only real difference in tactics I can see TC has brought is that
he wants his keeper to play football and intelligent balls from the back. That
includes little chips , long throws and the like. It doesn't fucking work
Thomas in this league. We're not good enough to take those balls down control
them and start an attack. Just fucking hoof the cunt ! Not picking Rob Green
for me is the worst decision of all.
Ayling - 6. Shaky start but then got back to playing as solid as we expect.
Scum Lad - 6. I thought he did ok and it was good to see a left back with a
left foot. I think he'll be an asset when the team starts to produce.
Jansson - 7. Again after shaky start I thought he played well and did a lot of
good defensive work that was needed.
Cooper - 5. I  thought he stuggled first half but improved second. Hate his 40
yard passing attempts.
Philips - 3. Looked out of his depth. Frequent poor control of the ball meant
he had to battle like hell to get the ball back which occasionally he did.
Showed nothing going forward and generally offered nothing. This lad might do
well at a lower end of the table team but for a team that is looking to get
promotion - no chance.
O'Kane - 5. Gets the ball, gets his head down and motors - hasn't a frigging
clue where he's going. Basic, boring, unadventurous footballer - journeyman to
the extreme. Always has been always will be.
Hernandez - 5. He tried some stuff, played one or tow good balls but if the
team aren't functioning he will struggle to do it on his own.
Roofe - 1 - I've give him one cos he managed one half decent cross in the first
half. Apart from that he fell over a lot and looked slow and ponderous. Just
not good enough.
Allioski - 4. Do we really think this lad is a winger ? I don't think so on
that performance. He struggled all afternoon but he did manage to get one or
tow decent shots in and never stopped trying.
Wood - 2. This performance summed up for me what his general footballing
ability is all about. He showed a lack of control, a lack of pace and a general
lack of ability. In the first half he got the ball at the edge of the box , ran
at the defender and ran it out of play. I can't argue with 30 goals last season
but this is a new season and that wasn't nearly good enough. I'm surprised TC
didn't drag him off and put the new lad on because Wood was not going to score
today. Bloody awful. £12 million pounds from Burnley , I'd snap their bloody
hand off now and throw Roofe and Philips in for nowt.
Subs:
Saiz - 6. Busy and definitely has an eye for a pass - I do worry about his size
and weight.
Vierra - 6. Tidy
TC - hopefully this is the learning period for him because I'm not seeing any
new ideas here. Is TC the real deal ? Mmmmm
the fans were pissed off and I heard a few saying that they're not coming on
Tuesday because of this.
Same old Leeds.