Great synopsys. Cheers Rich!

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Saturday, March 3, 2018, 4:44 PM, Richard Walker <richleed...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

Cheers Nick. I've spent over 40 years watching Leeds week in week out so I like
to think I've got the measure of most players I watch. Most players can be
gauged within 4-5 games but I'd say the exception to this is the centre back
position and strikers. I've seen players arrive at Leeds who look like a fish
out of water. Chris Fairclough, Peter Haddock and Rio were all awful on their
debuts and first few appearances but all turned out to be good signings ( not
sure Rio lived up to his fee?).In terms of strikers they tend to be rated until
they come to Leeds - Keith  Edwards, Jim Melrose, Derek Parlane, George
McCluskey, Noel Hunt, Barn door Billy Painter, Darren Huckerby, Ian Rush to
name a few.
But midfielders just stand out. They just need to make themselves available,
take the ball, and give it to someone. Easy ? No. David Batty was the best I've
ever seen at this. He is everything I've ever loved about football. Such
simplicity but brilliantly effective in making a team tick. Olivier Dacourt was
also good at this  but he added a driving ability which allowed him to be more
attacking. Both truly great midfielders.
O'Kane has no awareness. Watch him when he gets the ball. He's head down , one
dimensional. It's either a pass backward or he just motors forward with no real
intention. Batty was ultra aware of his team mates. He got the ball, looked up
and passed but then looked how he can help. He was the cog at the heart of the
machine. It's a shame that O'Kane will never be able to perform at even 25%
effectiveness of David Batty , but that's why Bournemouth let him go !
We are Leeds!
Rich