I agree with most of what RW has said - I think that Douglas was very poor,
Harrison was lacking and Ayling is not a centre back - twice he got us into
trouble when he went rampaging forward and left us (even) more lightweight at
the back
Comparisons with last season are inevitable and at times we did look like the
team that fell away and failed so badly then BUT with one massive difference -
this time we came from behind not once but twice, and got a point in a game
during which for the most part we were second best.
We did show some glimpses and flashes of the way we have been playing but last
night was a long way from the style and pizzazz of the other games
Full marks to MB for his substitutions - when he brought Phillips off I argued
with my lad who said it was stupid to make a sub so early if he wasn't injured,
I said I hoped it was indeed tactical and if it was it showed both an
understanding of the game and a desire to do something about it. Phillips was
having a shocker and he had already been booked so was on a knife edge. I can
recall DoL sitting on his hands when we lost 2 0 at Sunderland - he had £30m of
talent on the bench but sat like a rabbit in headlights and did nothing even
though we all knew we were going to lose if he did not change things. Also I
recall George Graham saying that managers often knew after a few minutes that
they had things wrong but did not want to personnel until at least half time
(preferrably not till 60mins) because to do so early was an admission that they
had picked the wrong team
So full marks to MB to having the nous and ability to know we needed to change
and the bottle  /lack of fear to do so. To then make two more changes to try
and win the game is also to be applauded
One last point on the game - if Saiz (back to his moaning worse) was booked for
dissent how come McBurnie who argued over every decision and got right in the
lino and ref's faces on two occasions did not get sent off ? ALthough to be
fair he was MOM and a real handful
Anyway top of the league despite having what was reported in the press on
fixture day as the 'hardest start' of anyone in the Division ? I would have
been happy with 4 pts at this stage (draw and win v Stoke and Rotherham and two
defeats)
Norwich now takes on an extra importance - was yesterday a reverting to type
for certain players and the team as a whole or is it just one (of many) to be
expected blips in a long hard season. We need Cooper and /or Janson to be fit
sooner rather than later