United are back, Bamford is back, our promotion dream is back
Whilst we still have 20 or whatever it is cup finals to go, this game did seem
to have some sort of defining moment about it.
Pre game the talk was split between discussing the new arrivals and whether our
blip had become a slump and would it end or become a total collapse
Despite our 10 day rest and the fact they played on Saturday it was Millwall
who came out all guns blazing and really got into us, knocking us out of our
stride  and preventing us from keeping or even getting the ball.
We had just about scrambled one corner away when they got another.  The ref had
a word with Alioski in the pushing and shoving that precedes every corner, and
after his telling off he went to a different part of the area. The cross came
to where Alioski had previously been and their lad put a free header into the
net.
I recall seeing a stat that if we concede first we do not win so this was not
the start we wanted
Things went from bad to worse as Bamford hit a tame shot right at the keeper
when he should have scored. We started to exert some pressure despite very odd
refereeing decisions.  First he gave a corner to us and changed his mind, then
a bit later a rasping drive was well saved as the keeper used both hands to
push it past the post, his teammates congratulated him but the ref amazingly
gave a goal kick. We somewhat naughtily replayed it on the big screen just to
ensure everyone saw his howler.
Then Millwall broke and the ball seemed to go out of play but they ran into our
area and 2 players sandwiched him and Alioski was deemed to have fouled him. So
0 2 and things were looking dodgy as we continued,  as per usual,  creating and
missing chances.
When half time came,  thankfully the boos from the crowd were aimed at the ref.
So 2 down against the form team, a team with a great away record, whilst we are
in a slump,  and never win from behind,  things did not look great
The second half however became a thing of wonder and of beauty
We got an early corner and for the 2nd ? time this season a corner crossed into
the box ended up with us scoring! The ball came through a group of players to
Harrison whose shot was brilliantly saved but fell kindly to Bamford who tapped
in from close range. Game on
From then on it was one way traffic, as Costa had his best time in a Leeds
shirt and Alioski and Klich ran riot. We played some wonderful stuff , a real
joy to watch and they just could not live with us. We swarmed forward again and
again from all angles and in one such attack the ball came to Pablo on the edge
of the box and he fired home 2 2 and we were rampant.
It appeared as if it was just a matter of time and do it proved as a lovely
cross was headed home by the now confident Bamford.  Like many I am not sure
what his hands over his ears celebrations meant but I did not think they were
aimed at the fans.
We continued to totally dominate but as per usual we missed more chances than
we scored,  Costa hitting the bar with one good effort and Klich with the miss
of the season
A little panic set in towards the end when they sent Matt Smith on a got a
couple of corners , a massive cheer going up when Kiko came out and caught one
The final whistle was greeted with some relief but also great elation,  this
felt important and it feels like we are back on track. The icing on the cake
being West Brom lost yet again so we left the ground grinning from ear to ear
and chanting we are top the league,  hopefully we are there to stay, and all
this without our 2 new signings getting on the pitch
WOWSER indeed as someone else posted earlier.  I cant wait for Saturday now and
our chance to take done sort of revenge on Wigan
Dave

Sent from Sky Yahoo Mail on Android