Thoroughly entertaining game yesterday. I think the result was right, we could
have had more and Town didn't bother us much but I think they did put of a
fight in the first half and I don't think they will be going down.
The match started brilliant with Ayling's flying volley. It was a similar start
to West Brom last season when Hernandez rocketed one in to the top corner
before most people had settled into their seats. This was better because it was
a volley and it was our right back. What is Ayling going to do in the remaining
9 matches ? Will he end up being our top scorer ? I was all on for dropping him
after Christmas but he's been really good and he's surprised me not only with
his goals but his general game has improved.
After this early set back I thought Town took a bit of control especially in
midfield where again I thought we looked a man short with White playing in deep
midfield. They had a couple of guys who were prepared to run with the ball and
they definitely pushed us back without creating too much. There best chance
came to the guy with the stupid haircut and he shot straight at Meisler and it
nearly went through his legs. Luckily it didn't.
So at half-time, everyone was still buzzing about the goal but to be honest I
don't think we played that well and Town definitely matched us.
That wasn't the story 2nd half. We came out and took complete control. We
scored a 2nd when White's header was well saved but only parried to Bamford who
couldn't miss from a yard out. He ran over to us in the NE and he looked pretty
relieved. His game did improve then until he got subbed for Roberts.
We steamrolled them from then on and should have had more. Harrison dribbled
his way through the whole team and then turned, span and curled a left footer
against the upright. That would have matched Ayling's goal and more. When his
tail is up, he's hard to play against.
I thought Town ran out of puff, they stopped running and our fitness was just
superior and they never got ont the ball. Beradi at the back won everything and
White grew into his midfield role alhough he wasn't up against much in that 2nd
half.
Roberts came on and immediately looked sharp on the break. On one attack he was
through and if he'd kept on running it would have been a one on one with their
keeper but he strangely opted to pass and the move broke down.
Town had a good shout for a late pen. Luckily it wasn't given cos if it had
been Ayling could have been red carded because he was on a yellow,
At full time, I think everyone was happy and for me this was a very comfortable
win. 9 to go.
Meisler - 5. Looked nervy to me. He had 2 shots to save. One nearly went
through his legs, the other he spilled and was lucky to get away with. I'm
hoping 2 clean sheets is going to give him that confidence.
Ayling - 10. He has to get 10 for that goal.
Dallas - 8. Another great performance from Dallas at left back. Strong running
forward, great link up play and good defence as well.
Beradi - 9. He looks totally at home in central defence, I think this is his
position and he will be so unlucky to be dropped if Philips returns for
Cardiff.
Cooper - 8. I thought he did well again.
Hernandez -  5. I thought his passing, as always, was poor, He gave away
possession many times and things just didn't go for him yesterday. He was still
lively though.
Costa - 6. Saw a lot of the ball, made some good runs but ultimately didn't
deliver when he had chances to cross and shoot. The story of his season.
Klich - 7. Typical Kilch performance - everywhere.
Harrison - 8. Great second half performance.
White - 7. Looked awkward first half but second half played a bit more
advanced, had a great header saved for the goal and generally grew into his
position.
Bamford - 5. I thought he was really poor first half, Lost possession time
after time and he just continued his poor form from previous games. He finally
was gifted his goal and he definitely looked more confident from then on
without really theatening. I thought it was a strange decision to take him off
having just scored and his confidence high. Maybe he could have bagged another
one ?
Subs:
Shackleton - got involvedRoberts - looked sharp on the break.
Top of the league. Surely we can't fuck this up now can we ?