Well we are back and back with a bang - the atmosphere was everything we
remembered and more , the limbs after the 2 goals were as good as any game
since we went all seaterIt was a fitting game to re- start in front of fans ,
lots of end to end stuff, some crunching tackles, decent chances and saves, 2
great goals from us as we came from behind and a raucous atmosphere throughout.
On MOTD compare the polite applause at Man City as the 5th went in v our
‘scenes’ when Raph banged in the equaliser ( and I know they are not strictly
comparable)Just a shame that the last minute scramble / foul on Bamford did not
earn us a winner
So 90 mins was great but I am not sure what to expect with everything else - we
had full houses every week before lock down but no game seenec as packed as
this one. The train was full of Everton ( first time seen away fans in numbers)
and then it was 5 or 6 deep in the West Ridings - so bad we doubled up first
round ( as did others) We left early to meet someone on fanszone at 1.45 but
the bus queue was massive and Uber had no drivers ! Eventually flagged a cab
who dropped us at the roundabout at the top of the hill, so bad was the traffic
. Fanzone queues were so long we went into the Revie members bar to ensure we
got served before kickoff ( lager and cider both went off )Like I say no idea
why things were so packed for same number of fans as last season so god only
knows what havoc 55,000 capacity will bringWas great to see everyone I
recognise near me made it through covid alive and well and the minutes silence
that became applause / singing to commemorate those we have lost made hairs on
my neck stand up. For me it was poignant to walk past the Burley Banksy box in
memory of Big Jack the man I blame for my life :-))
The game was played at a frantic pace , they were mainly content to soak up
pressure and hit us on the break ( they probably had more and better clear
chances) we had control it were not too threatening.
The penalty decision was odd - we saw nothing and thought they were looking at
VAR to fill time while Klich received treatment- knew it was bad when ref took
a look . Calvin Lewis was a right dick after scoring- doing the shush gesture
before some wanky dancing - twat . Their no7 dived and moaned his way through
the game a la Grealish so a team not on our radar became a team we hated ( for
the day at least)Our equaliser was magnificent- Bamford stole the ball and fed
Klich who finished with real style - cue bedlamSecond half they did more and
went ahead and we nearly fell apart saved ( literally by Mes) then came the
equaliser, a cross from Kalvin and in a scramble Coops fed Raph who thundered
it home - cracking finish
We tried to win it but a draw was fair ( and beat last seasons result)
So a point on the board and the season is up and running and I LOVE IT Dave