I'm still reasonably confident we'll stay up with this squad, but the first half was dreadful from us.  Marsch said afterwards the plan was to get balls into the Brighton half quickly and then play from there, but the players did not execute properly, which worries me slightly. That type of hoofball has been proven to be a failure in this league, and it is just shit football. Time after time the ball was lost to Brighton.  Our front four ran around a lot but could not hold on to the ball to make any meaningful attack on goal. Brighton sat deep and won all the loose balls and attacked down both flanks exposing Struik (not a left back) and Rasmus (a right back, but not very good). Only Meslier and their poor finishing kept us in the game.

Second half we started to hold the ball better, which led to plenty of possession and a few half chances. But Brighton always looked like they would score and so it turned out.  Again down the flank, with Struik drawn towards the center leaving a man free on the outside and a cross from our right.  Brighton sat back after they scored and we had one or two chances - Sinisterra at the far post and Rodrigo(?) who blazed over. We could and should have got a point, but Brighton were the better team overall.

On the plus side, Adams did not give the ball as much as the previous three games and Sinisterra looked good.  Koch was good again and Jack and Brenden had reasonable games. Klich was good again when he came on.

Downside? Rodrigo was useless.  Misplaced passes and wayward shooting again.  I suspect Marsch told him to shoot more. Rasmus still looks out of his depth in my opinion.  Llorente had one of those games where he falls over a lot.

I would have brought on Joffy sooner and also taken Rodrigo off for Summerville.

Everton on Tuesday will be a test for Marsch. The starters so far have done well, but there was a lack of creativity on Saturday.  I would take a chance with Drameh if Ayling is not ready, and also start with Klich instead of Rodrigo / James and play Joffy up front.  I'd be tempted to play Summerville instead of Brenden as well, but that may be too many changes.

Whatever happens, Everton are there for the taking and 3 points will perk us all up again.  Lose and doubts will start creeping in re Marsch's tactics. But we're 5th and we would all take that after 4 games I suspect.

MOT