Totally disagree. He could just go out and get Roberto Carlos, I know for a
fact he is available.
Nick
    On Sunday, December 4, 2022 at 06:01:59 PM EST, Peter Castlehouse
<dubca...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

 Completely rational, and entirely agree with you Rob.  Antonee Robinson I
would take

Pete C
t'original surviving one

-----Original Message-----
From: Leedslist <leedslist-boun...@gn.apc.org> On Behalf Of Robert Heath
Sent: Monday, 5 December 2022 8:17 AM
To: Leeds List <leedslist@gn.apc.org>
Subject: [LU] Keeping the list alive

3 players I have watched in the last couple of days who really symbolise our
predicament: Raphinha, Adams & Gakpo. The fact is that all players want to be
playing in the stupid so-called Champions League (or their agents tell them
they want to!) So somehow, Orta (who I think is unjustly
criticised) must find some young gem who is a) better than who we have already,
but b) can't be so good (yet) that he will think he can hold out for a CL team.
And even if he finds one, we've got 2 years with 'em before they move on (at
least at a profit.) So Raphinha obvs falls into this category..........so does
Adams who we will lose sooner or later. Maybe Sinisterra. And Gakpo obvs
doesn't and we've got no chance of signing him.
All this rubbish "oh we've got to go out and sign a LB and a striker in
January" completely ignores these factors. There aren't many players out there
who fit that profile. One of the things we have tried to do is to take
advantage of the propensity for the megaclubs to have huge squads and try to
grab players whose careers have gone stale due to lack of playing time. Ie
Firpo & Roca. (Mixed success...........and pretty big pricetags for a gamble.)

So..............OK "Orta has GOT to buy a LB this january!!!" scream the
knowalls. There were 32 LBs who were starters in the WC. No doubt all the top
countries LBs already play in the CL so that probably rules out 10 of 'em. So
we must look at the "weaker" countries.( I got all excited about that Alphonso
Davies of Canada then I found out he plays for Munichscum. ) Of that 20-odd
probably half would be no improvement even on Firpo, and of the others how many
might be actually available? Antonee Robinson, for example. He;s looked good
for the US............less so really for Fulham.
Would Fulham sell him? Would he be worth shelling out 15 - 20 mill?

My point is............Orta's job is not as simple as many people think.

Rest in Peace Guy, and wear your hat!