For data recovery just get yourself an external drive caddy (make sure you
get the right type for your pc hdd), then put your hdd into it and plug it
into your laptop.  All being well the laptop will see it as another volume
and let you browse around to get your data off.

If you get to the startup option your disk should be ok, it sounds like your
installation got corrupted beyond repair.

Another option is to install windows to a different folder/partition on your
disk, then once that is done you can again access your files via windows
explorer, but an external drive caddy is the easiest/cleanest option.  You
should be able to get one for around a tenner.  If you don't want to open up
your pc however, a new install of windows will do the job.  Oh, but DONT
FORMAT THE DRIVE when you install!!  The setup will probably see the
existing installation and warn you as such, just install to a non standard
folder (call it c:\newindows or something).

With regards to the usb stick, you need to make sure it is bootable, not
just have the recovery software on there.  That should work if your bios
offers the option of booting from usb device.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:leedslist-
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Matthew Anderson
> Sent: 10 August 2007 15:41
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: [LU] Totally non Lu - techy advice needed
> 
> I think my PC has died
> 
> I went to boot up and got a "disk read error message, press ctrl al
> del" repeatedly
> 
> Tried my system disks and repaired windows and start up files, no luck
> 
> I can't get into safe mode or start windows from last good settings.
> 
> Been in the bios and messed around with booting priorities (was trying
> to boot up from a linux based thing called Trinty repair or similar
> from a USB stick - which could solve world peace and Bates problem if I
> could get it to work).  I need to try that from a cd rom but with
> broken PC I cant.
> 
> I am reluctant to open up the pc and mess about as I haven't a clue
> what I am doing.
> 
> Anyone have any idea what I could try next and save all the files on
> the hard disk?
> 
> I back up regularly but have been having house renovations done and so
> haven't reattached HDDs for a couple of months and I have holiday and
> family photos on there I don't want to lose under any circumstances.
> Plus new music (which I could replace if I had to)
> 
> The PC is a medion one and its about 4 years old if that helps
> 
> I have a 5 year old laptop which has no cd rom that I can get internet
> access on and transfer files to a USB stick but that's all I have at
> the moment PC wise!
> 
> Matt
> _________________________________________________________________
> Feel like a local wherever you go with BackOfMyHand.com
> http://www.backofmyhand.com
> _______________________________________________
> the Leeds List is an unmoderated mailing list and the list
> administrators accept no liability for the personal views and opinions
> of contributors.
> Leedslist mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://list.zetnet.co.uk/mailman/listinfo/leedslist
> Join The Leeds United Supporters Trust at www.lufctrust.org


_______________________________________________
the Leeds List is an unmoderated mailing list and the list administrators 
accept no liability for the personal views and opinions of contributors. 
Leedslist mailing list
[email protected]
http://list.zetnet.co.uk/mailman/listinfo/leedslist
Join The Leeds United Supporters Trust at www.lufctrust.org 

Reply via email to