Home is where the new start is for loyal fan Naylor


Published Date: 16 January 2009 
This week has seen a devoted Leeds United supporter return home to his
roots to try to help the club get back to where he feels it truly
belongs. Richard Sutcliffe reports.


WITH a White Rose tattooed on his arm and a willingness to make a
400-mile round trip to watch midweek games at Elland Road, Richard
Naylor's true footballing loyalties have never really been in doubt.

The Leeds-born defender has spent the past 14ADVERTISEMENTseasons with
Ipswich Town and given such sterling service that his two nicknames at
Portman Road are 'Psycho' and 'Bamm Bamm'.

But, when it comes to the team he supports, Naylor's friends and family
have been left in no doubt as to how devoted he is to United.

It is why tomorrow will be an immensely proud day for the 31-year-old as
he makes his Leeds debut against Brighton & Hove Albion alongside fellow
new signing Carl Dickinson, the left-back having yesterday completed an
initial month-long loan switch from Stoke City.

Signed on a similar loan deal by Simon Grayson, Naylor has been brought
in to bring some much-needed stability and know-how to a defence that
has gone 13 games without keeping a clean sheet.

He said: "I was six or seven when I first came to a game at Elland Road
and I sat in the back of what was the Lowfields Stand. It was
awe-inspiring for a kid to see a crowd like that and it has stuck with
me through life.

"I actually played for Leeds City Boys in the age group just below Noel
Whelan but Ipswich signed me when I was 14 and I moved down there a
couple of years later.

"I have had a good career at Ipswich but it is great to be back in my
hometown and I can't wait to pull on that shirt. I did not want to go
through my career and never play for Leeds.

"I used to travel up for the Champions League games and they were
special nights. I also went to the play-off finals. Playing on a
Saturday obviously makes it difficult, as does having a young family (he
is married with three children). But I got here when I could.

"I even have a White Rose tattoo on my arm - I had it done when I first
moved to Ipswich. But the lads never gave me any stick over it - they
are not that brave."

The reluctance at Portman Road to tackle Naylor over his tattoo is
understandable, especially as the 'Bamm Bamm' - as in the Flintstones
character - nickname that he goes by in Suffolk is directly linked to
his physical playing style that only the bravest of strikers are
prepared to tackle head on.

Leeds fans will be hoping his arrival can help solve the defensive
problems that have dogged their team this season.

Naylor said: "There are some good players at the club but maybe they are
low in confidence. It seems that every little mistake is costing them.
Maybe a fresh face coming in will rattle a few cages and get the best
out of them."

United certainly need a lift with last weekend's defeat at home to
Carlisle United - the club's sixth in the last eight games - meaning
Grayson's side are worryingly off the pace of even the play-offs in 10th
place.

Naylor added: "We need to pick up points because if we don't manage that
while I am here, then the season will be in danger of petering out.

"It is a critical time and it is vital we hit the ground running. Leeds
have spent enough time in this league already and have to get out. 

"But it will not be easy and that is why we need results now."

Naylor should be joined in the United defence tomorrow at Brighton by
Stoke left-back Dickinson, who last night completed his loan move to
Elland Road.

Leeds manager Grayson, who had the 21-year defender on loan at Blackpool
in 2006-07, said: "He is the type of player I like. I have worked with
him in the past."

As for Naylor, his focus is on the trip to the Withdean Stadium though
the defender has admitted that his stay in Yorkshire may be longer than
the initial month.

He said: "It might become permanent, but that is not in my hands. 

"The main thing is I come here and help get the best out of the lads to
get some points on the board for Leeds. The rest will take care of
itself."

_______________________________________________
the Leeds List is an unmoderated mailing list and the list administrators 
accept no liability for the personal views and opinions of contributors.
Leedslist mailing list
[email protected]
http://list.zetnet.co.uk/mailman/listinfo/leedslist
Sorry Macca - it's the curse of Bates old lad

Reply via email to