On Thu, 9/4/09, [email protected] wrote:

> Subject: [LU] Two Goal Concessions vs 10 Men
> To: [email protected]

> The worst, and I mean THE WORST, I ever saw Leeds play.
> Perhaps 1979-ish. vs Tottenham. Elland Road
> One up in the first few minutes.
> They have a player sent off.
> They have their goalkeeper injured and replaced by an outfield player.
> Let's just summarise.
> We're 1-0 at home up against a 10 man team with no goalkeeper.
> We lose 2-1.

I remember the game well, it was only my 2nd visit to ER (I was 11 and living 
in Carlisle, so my Dad drove me down).

20th October 1979 - Paul Miller was dismissed in the 27th minute, Barry Daines 
went off with an injury and Hoddle took his place in goal. 
Ray Hankin scored for us - Gerry Armstrong and Chris Jones for Spurs.

Teams: 
Spurs - Daines (Pratt), Hughton, McAllister, Yorath, Miller, Perryman, Ardiles, 
Jones, Armstrong, Hoddle, Villa

Leeds - Lukic, Hird, Hampton, Flynn, Greenhoff (Chandler), Madeley, Gray, 
Cherry, Hankin, Curtis, Entwistle
Crowd: 25,203 

We'd also lost the first game I ever saw at ER 2-1, to West Ham in 1978 (31 
years ago yesterday in fact) with Lorimer missing a penalty and Alvin Martin 
getting the Hammers winner, Arthur Graham scoring for us. The only consolation 
- we wouldn't lose to West Ham at ER again that century.

Not the best of starts so the Orient game is merely a continuation of the 
disappointments which are occasionally interspersed with stabs of hope ...


      

_______________________________________________
the Leeds List is an unmoderated mailing list and the list administrators 
accept no liability for the personal views and opinions of contributors.
Leedslist mailing list
[email protected]
http://list.zetnet.co.uk/mailman/listinfo/leedslist
Visit http://tinyurl.com/ce37mx NOW!

Reply via email to