Leonard Peltier has been in prison for 23 years. Here he writes in
support of the Black journalist Mumia Abu Jamal who is on Death Row
(awaiting murder by the State of Philadelphia)

  Forward by the NWLPSN, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  LEONARD PELTIER STATEMENT IN SOLIDARITY
  WITH MUMIA ABU-JAMAL

Greetings Friends, supporters, and Mumia,

I know that this must be a sad and frustrating time for you as the
negative defeats that we have received in my case have been to us. I
know it is easy for me and others to tell you not to give up the
fight. I personally understand and know the feeling many times
through this twenty-three years of wanting to say the hell with it
and give up-- believing that there is no way to defeat this evil
empire. Sometimes it just seems hopeless.

When this happens I am always reminded by my courageous supporters,
like those of you who are here today, that to accept defeat is not a
warrior's way.

As long as the people have not accepted defeat, neither will we. So I
would like to encourage you to stay strong and continue the fight
until Mumia is victorious.

It is an outrage that the courts continue to ignore blatant evidence
and continue to play legal games with our lives. This insanity is a
huge insult, not only to those of us who remain unjustly imprisoned,
but to all of you who dedicate your lives to our freedom and are
ignored by the corporate owned justice system and media.

I want to encourage supporters to intensify the struggle for Mumia's
life.

I know you can stop this execution because no matter how evil a
government may be they still cannot defeat the power of the people.
Your work and help is needed more than ever. We must now live and
breathe Mumia's case twenty-four hours a day.

If we are able in unity to stop the execution of Mumia Abu-Jamal, we
are not only saving the life of the man who speaks for those who are
not often heard and who's stories are rarely told, but you are saving
all of us who remain unjustly behind bars from the depths of
hopelessness.

  FREE MUMIA ABU-JAMAL!
                                             In The Spirit of Crazy Horse
                                                      Leonard Peltier

*****
"Messages sent on the IWW-news mailing list are the opinions of the
individual senders; they do not necessarily represent the views of the IWW.
IWW-news is for posting information which is relevant to the struggle of
the working class against our bosses. Visit http://www.iww.org/ for more
information."
To subscribe/unsubscribe from the IWW-news mailing list please send e-mail
to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the word "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" as
the subject of the message.

http://www.alexia.net.au/~www/mhutton/