EARTH MATTERS can be heard in 3CR Melbourne Sunday 11am, 2XX Canberra
Tuesday at 10am, 8CCC Alice Springs between 8-9pm, 5UV Adelaide Thursday
2pm, 7LTN Launceston 7:30pm Monday, 2VOX Wollongong between 9-10am & much
more!!

Earth Matters
Programme 66b
Juliet Fox
3CR Community Radio
ComRadSat Programme 29/1/1999

CUE SHEET
INTRO : (JILL REDWOOD) "Just on Jeff Kennett again ..."
OUTRO : "... thanks for listening and see you next week."
DURATION : 26'15" (frogs til around 27'15)

The GST and environmental problems

There's currently a Senate Inquiry being conducted into the environmental
impacts of the Federal Government's proposed Goods and Services Tax (GST).
According to the Australian Conservation Foundation (ACF) the impacts would
include a significant increase in air pollution.

Today we hear from Anna Reynolds, National Liaison Officer for the ACF,
about just how a GST would affect air quality, and what other environmental
problems could be associated with the Coalition's GST.

Anna also outlines the details of the Senate Inquiry and encourages
concerned listeners to contact the Federal members, and state Senators to
express their concerns.

9 cents a tonne for Victoria's
native forest woodchip logs

According to Concerned Residents of East Gippsland (CROEG) spokesperson Jill
Redwood, Victorian Premier Jeff Kennett is "allowing export woodchippers to
cart away four and a half tonnes of our standing native forests for the
price of a postage stamp."

The statements follow recent revelations that the Victorian Government
receives just 9 cents per tonne in royalties for native forest export
woodchip logs. Today we speak with Jill Redwood about the leaked letter that
reveals the alarming figures - which have been sought after by
conservationists and others for some time.

We also get the low down on just what the royalty system is and the answers
the information revealed in the letter demand of the Victorian Government.