Family Drug Support
PO Box 226
Willoughby NSW

Telephone  9818 6166 - 1300 368 186 -0412 414 444

Family Drug Support is extremely concerned about the threat to the NSW
needle and syringe program posed by the closure of the Caroline Lane
service.  We do not believe this sort of knee jerk reaction will have any
impact what so ever on drug misuse in the State and will definatly lead to
far greater problems, including sharing of needles and increasing the risk
of HIV and Hep C infection and ultimately more premature deaths.

Further, the community needs to look at why these programs were initiated
in the mid 1980's -which was to prevent the spread of HIV among intravenous
drug users. After 12 years NSW has less than 10% HIV among IDUs, compared
to other parts of the world with  rates of over 70 % where no needle
programmes exist

We are the envy of most countries in this particular aspect of drug policy.

Obviously the  sight of a young person using a needle to inject heroin
causes great distress and we know only too well this is disastrous for the
family involved and agree that our society needs to do more to protect
young people from early entry into drug using.

We welcome the suggestion by Kerry Chickarovski for a bi-partisan approach
and to set up an independent committee to inquire into the effectiveness of
needle and syringe exchange programs.

We believe that committee should be headed by Dr Roger Garcia from the RPA
Hospital - a world-renowned immunologist and our organisation would welcome
a position on that committee.

Tony Trimingham- Family Drug Support <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>