the mardi gras fair day was an enormous success for the reconciliation float.
we got hundreds of signatures for a lesbian+gay petition being presented to the
senate through aiden ridgeway, signed lots up for the float and had lots of
people (mainly but not only kids!) camping up 'hands' for the float with paint
and glitter. we were very prominent and lots saw us. going round personally
with
the petition I was pleasantly surprised how few didn't want to sign it.
we also had a huge panel featuring the story of the rainbow serpent from moree.
a 17m long serpent made by local aboriginal people will be one highlight of the
float, a bus load are coming down to help and it'll be led by traditional
dancers. this continues the mrdi gras/moree connection established last year.
some of the sydney region elders are taking part and they'll be leading us
all -
in a cadillac!
pauline pantsdown is making her final appearance and will be marching with a
local sydney aboriginal drag queen, possibly familiar to those who've been to
'Corroboree' at the imperial hotel as 'Whoopi'.
absolutely everyone on this list: young or old, fat or thin, straight or queer,
whatever you are you're welcome to take part. it's a wonderful experience I
might add! I'm hoping to see sydney region groups supporting reconciliation
come
and support us with their banners!
we are expecting prominent media coverage this year (old timers may
remember how
we were virtually snubbed last year) with some already filed.
there's a website to keep in touch which will feature pix from today and our
preparations at the mardi gras workshop (it's all fun but exhausting) when
they're processed: http://reconciliation.queer.org.au/mg99.htm
if you want to take part please contact us through the AVP, who are the central
registration point so we know you're coming.
tel: (02) 9360 6687
fax: (02) 9380 5848
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hope to see you there!