[The profit made from lost jobs - Trudy]

Australian Financial Review
Feb 23, 1999
http://www.afr.com.au/content/990223/update/update13.html

Lang Corp expects Q1 profits
to continue

Lang Corp Ltd managing director Chris Corrigan said the company
expects to continue to post profits in the region of those recorded
in the first quarter of the current financial year.

Lang, the parent company of Patrick stevedores, today said unaudited
profit figures for the first quarter to December 31, 1998, reflected
net earnings of $10.10 million.

Profit before interest and tax was $18.30 million while the pre-tax
outcome was $13.80 million, chairman Gilles Kryger shareholders at
the company's annual general meeting here.

"We would hope to continue that rate of progress in future quarters
and hopefully improve on it," Mr Corrigan told reporters after the
meeting.

Mr Corrigan, who is also executive director of Patrick, noted that
from February Lang would be paying more than $1 million per month to
the Department of Transport as part of redundancy financing.

After that was taken into account, the profits should continue, he
said.

"So it will continue at that rate or better hopefully, adjusted for
that issue," he said.

Mr Corrigan said the first quarter results did not include Lang's
sale of its 20 per cent interest in TDG Logistics last week.

"We valued that holding on a market-to-market basis," he said.

The 20 per cent stake was sold for $12.6 million, a move that Lang
expects to further assist in reducing debt.

Mr Corrigan said that Lang, in line with international trade, was
growing at a significantly greater rate than gross domestic product
(GDP).

He said container volumes had grown 80 per cent in the last five
years, putting growth at around eight or nine per cent per annum.

"We are getting increased capacity in our terminals with very little
additional capital and the trends towards trans-shipments and coastal
cargo means we growing significantly faster than GDP," Mr Corrigan
told shareholders.

"We have got a business that should be growing quite quickly indeed,
relative to the rest of the country."

While substantial productivity gains have been made on the company's
docks, Mr Corrigan said that Sydney's Port Botany was lacking in
crane rates and general performance.

"Some of that has to do with changes we are in the process of making
so it's not all attributable to lack of worker performance, but I
think a large part of it is, and we are working to change that and
with some success," he said.

Mr Corrigan said he expected Port Botany to be up to speed by the end
of the year.

"By the end of the year I'd hope to see it in the same category as
Melbourne."

Lang has set target rates for containers moved per man per shift at
27.

Prior to the dispute, Port Botany was operating at a level of nine
container moves and has now moved to 16.0.

Melbourne's East Swanson Dock has fared better, currently sitting on
25.8 moves from 10 before the dispute.

Mr Corrigan expected container movements at East Swanson to reach the
benchmark by the end of the year.

Mr Corrigan also said the company's gearing level was around $130
million at year end and would likely be under $200 million by next
year.

On the company's decision not to pay a dividend this financial year,
Mr Corrigan said the balance sheet needed to be firmed up first.

"It's a reflection of the fact that we lost something in the order of
$60 million to $70 million last year and it's put the company under
significant strain. We need to repair the balance sheet," he said.

"Shareholders in that context won't be sharing in the benefits for
some time."

Lang expects to pay an eight cent fully franked dividend next
financial year and in future years to distribute not less than 40 per
cent of after tax earnings as dividends.

Mr Corrigan was re-elected to Lang's board at today's AGM where
shareholders also approved the adoption of an updated constitution
and takeover approval provisions.

Lang's shares were 12 cents higher at $4.60 at 1137 AEDT. AAP

This material is subject to copyright and any unauthorised use,
copying or mirroring is prohibited.