>From ABC news on-line, 9/3/99

Govt employment agency under fire over maternity leave

The government-owned agency, Employment National, is coming under
fire from the Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU), over its
decision to scrap paid maternity leave from its safety net award.

Future workplace agreements at Employment National will no longer
contain 12 weeks of paid maternity leave.

ACTU President Jennie George says the union is considering lodging
a discrimination complaint against the agency.

"It is now becoming increasingly common in the private sector, in
enterprise bargaining, for women to get paid maternity leave," Ms
George said.

"And really I think I need to talk to the union to investigate the
possibility of a major discrimination complaint against Employment
National."