'Push polling' used in Australian elections

Background Briefing website:
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/bbing

Sunday 28 February, 1999 (9:48am AEDT)

There is new evidence today that "push polling" is more widespread in
Australia than first thought.

"Push polling" is a telephone poll which seeks to damage the
reputation of rival candidates running for elections.

A significant sum of money was paid in compensation as part of a
defamation settlement two months ago over a "push poll" in Canberra
against Labor candidate Sue Robinson.

In today's Background Briefing program on Radio National there are
claims the practice was used in the Northern Territory election in
1994.

Andrew Coward was the senior adviser to the Northern Territory's
Chief Minister, Marshall Perron, from 1988 to 1995.  He was also part
of the Country Liberal Party's campaign team.

He says push polling was a major part of their re-election strategy
and it was discussed regularly during campaign committee meetings.

"I was not alone on the committee and some people must have known
because the word "push polling" was mentioned day after day, 'shall
we do it today or shall we do it tommorrow'," Mr Coward said. © 1999
Australian Broadcasting Corporation Updated: Sun Feb 28 09:50:01 1999
(AEDT)

        http://www.alexia.net.au/~www/mhutton/index.html

Unsub: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Body=unsubscribe%20leftlink