>From ABC on-line news today:

*Esso fires union members for refusing to work*

Esso has stood down hundreds of workers at its Gippsland gas plant,
in another dispute with unions over safety at the site.

Union members are refusing to work, demanding sirens and flashing
lights be installed to warn of emergencies, after a gas leak and
evacuation last week.

But Esso says the Workcover Authority has declared the site a fit
place to work and says Longford's warning system is adequate.

Dean Mighell from the Electrical Trades Union says Esso must take
better care of it workers.

"The situation last Thursday was the four tradesmen were left
working on the site an hour after the leak was detected, and other
personnel were evacuated," he said.

But Esso spokesman Ron Webb says the leak in a heat exchanger was a
minor incident and the response was adequate.

"The area around the exchanger was cordoned off and people in other
areas kept working as normal," he said.

"It was fixed up and it was not an issue. We've had WorkCover in
since that time.

"They've come in and independently said the site is safe to work,
the evacuation procedures are appropriate and as a result we've
asked the people to go back to normal work and they've refused.

"Now if they call an emergency like that and have an evacuation,
they left workers lives at risk...it's unacceptable," he said.

Mr Webb says the company had no option but to order a stand-down.

"We've got to the point, following lots of discussion, to say that
we can't do [that] any more," Mr Webb said.

"This is industrial action...you need to work on a site that's been
declared safe, and if you don't you're stood aside."

Workers will meet at the Longford plant at 7:00am today but will
stay off the job if safety concerns at the plant are not met.