CALL FOR SUPPORT FOR THE CHILDREN AND THE ELDERLY

WHO HAVE LOST THEIR FAMILIES IN THE EARTHQUAKE IN TURKEY

FROM: Women for Women's Human Rights - Istanbul
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The earthquake that hit Northwestern Turkey on August 17th 1999 has
resulted in thousands of deaths and injuries. As of August 25 - a week
since the earthquake - the number of accounted deaths stands at 18,000
people with over 35,000 people still missing, and another 42,500 people
injured.

Among those who are in need of most urgent care are the children and the
elderly whose families have died or have been injured in the earthquake.
The Directorate for Social Services and Child Protection, a governmental
agency, is currently identifying the children and the elderly in need of
care. As of yet, there is no accurate number of children and elderly
people who have lost their families in the earthquake. Given the high
number of accounted deaths and missing persons, however, we anticipate
this figure to be substantial.

To this end, we as Women for Women's Human Rights (Kadinin Insan Haklari
Projesi in Turkish), an autonomous NGO established in 1993 in Turkey, have
geared our efforts towards the support and rehabilitation of the children
and the elderly who have suffered losses in the earthquake. One of the
longer-term solutions offered by WWHR to the Directorate for Child
Protection is the launch of a campaign for "foster families" willing to
undertake short- or long-term care of the children. Upon confirmation by
the Directorate for the urgent need for such "foster families", we have
started disseminating the information through e-mail networks. Two of our
emergency aid campaign participants from Southern Turkey already began an
initiative for orphaned children to be placed with some foster families in
their town.

The donations to the campaign will be used for schooling, housing,
rehabilitation, or any urgent individual material or financial needs of
the survivors which are not met by other public or private funds. The
exact scope of the needs will become clearer as the identification process
is completed.

 >Our principle is to ensure a high degree of transparency. Donors will
receive periodic reports on the allocation of donations, the means for
their utilization and their outcomes; also the accounting will be done in
a detailed manner and will be made available for donor requests.
Therefore, we would like to ask those who donate money to inform us about
their e-mail address or fax number.

If you would like to support this campaign, please note the bank account
information below:

TURKEY: (Wire transfers only:
(For donations inTurkish Lira TL):
BANK: AKBANK
BRANCH: Saskinbakkal Branch, Istanbul, Turkey
Account No: A00/0016470/01-7
ACCOUNT HOLDER: Pinar Ilkkaracan - Karin Brigitte Ronge/ Kadinin Insan
Haklari Projesi

(For donations in U.S Dollars):
BANK: AKBANK
BRANCH: Suadiye Branch, Istanbul, Turkey
Account No: BU6/0030060/01-8
ACCOUNT HOLDER: Ipek Ilkkaracan - E. Gulsah Seral/Women for Women's Human
Rights

Our network members are also setting up a bank account in New York for
donations from the USA and Canada. If you are interested in the bank
account information in New York, please let us know.

In order to enable proper follow-up on the campaign donations, anyone who
makes a wire transfer or mails in a check should send in a short notice at
fax: 90-216-3851262 or e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] of the name of the
donor, the amount and the date of the check or the money transfer. If you
have any questions, please let us know.

Thank you for your attention.

In solidarity,

Women for Women's Human Rights (WWHR)
Kadinin Insan Haklari Projesi (KIHP)
Plajyolu No: 12 D:9
Suadiye, Istanbul
TURKEY

e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

tel: 90-216-3572142

tel/fax: 90-216-3851262

Gonca Gursoy Artunkal, London: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Leyla Gulcur, New York: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Women for Women's Human Rights - WWHR (Kadinin Insan Haklari Projesi -
KIHP) is an autonomous NGO, supporting the active participation of women
as free individuals and equal citizens in the establishment and
maintenance of a democratic and peaceful societal order. We were founded
in 1993 in Istanbul, Turkey. WWHR aims to end discrimination against women
through empowerment programs and to provide women's organizations at the
grass-roots level with tools and strategies to confront structures of
inequality and the effects of marginalization. This is accomplished by
carrying out research, disseminating the gathered information in various
forms appropriate for women of different literacy levels and by utilizing
research results to help enact policy, legal and social changes. In line
with these goals, WWHR produces training programs, resource materials and
publications.

If you are interested in receiving any of our publications or
informational materials, please contact us at the numbers or the addresses
indicated above.