THE AGE
http://www.theage.com.au/daily/990915/news/specials/news3.html
September 15, 1999

Welcome to the unequal country

By JOHN PILGER

WALLY McArthur's name will mean nothing to most Australians, which is
amazing in such a sports-obsessed society. Those who have studied Wally's
times believe he was one of the fastest athletes in history, the Carl Lewis
of his day.

At 14, running without shoes, he was the fastest teenager on Earth. Yet he
was left out of the South Australian team, although he had beaten everyone.
He was told, begrudgingly, he could compete in the national championships
only if he paid his own fare. A friend paid it, and the Borroloola Flash,
as Wally was known, won the 100-yard title.

He was never considered for the Olympic team, and was left in little doubt
why. Like so many Aboriginal sportsmen and women who were victims of
discrimination, he was forced to turn professional. ``It made me a bit
sad,'' he told me. ``I wanted to represent my country.''

Wally tells his story in my documentary Welcome to Australia, to be aired
on the ABC on 28 September. The film shows that a great deal has changed
since Wally's day, and a great deal has not. It is the third in a trilogy
about Aboriginal Australia that I have made with Alan Lowery, a fellow
Australian.

Welcome to Australia pays tribute to the First Australians' resilience and
achievements against the odds. In looking behind the much-hyped
``showcase'' of the Sydney Olympics, the film acknowledges the scholarships
that have helped bring to prominence a few Aboriginal sporting stars, but
it also takes viewers to places most Australians never see - to the dust
bowls and salt pans and fringe communities, where Aboriginal youngsters
have none of the sporting facilities of white children.

How many Australians know that the most celebrated Aboriginal sporting
games are held at Yuendumu in the Northern Territory, where there is no
oval, the goal posts barely stand up and there are no seats for the
spectators? ``I think most white Australians would weep if they were taken
on a tour of black sporting Australia,'' says Professor Colin Tatz, an
authority on Aboriginal sport. In his study Obstacle Race, he lists 1200
Aboriginal talented sportsmen and women, of whom only five had access to
the same facilities and opportunities as whites.

That is shocking enough, but it is only the surface of an enduring national
scandal. We filmed at Kununurra, through which the Olympic torch will pass
on its way to Sydney. In a random check with a medical team, we found
one-third of the Aboriginal children suffering from trachoma, a blinding
disease; half of the children in one school had it. It is no wonder
Australia is the only developed country on a World Health Organisation
``shame list'' of countries where trachoma is rampant. Impoverished Sri
Lanka has beaten this entirely preventable disease, but not rich Australia.

In his column about my film on this page last Tuesday, Gerard Henderson
mentioned none of this. Once again, he grossly misrepresented my work,
abusing it as that of ``the lowest common denominator''. Unlike Henderson,
as a professional reporter I go to uncomfortable places to find out, to
investigate, to witness. When did Henderson last listen to Aboriginal
people in a riverbed camp, or even in a front room in Fitzroy or Redfern?

Henderson tried to undermine my film before the public had the opportunity
to make up its own mind. It's a familiar routine: create a fake
controversy, allege there are misleading and unfair statements, and the
cut-and-paste school of journalism will follow suit, calling on me to
justify his inventions.

Far from claiming that Australia is ``not worthy of hosting the 2000
Olympics'', as Henderson misrepresents my film, I say at the beginning that
``it was fitting that Sydney, a sporting paradise, should be given the
Olympic Games''. I merely add that no matter how successful the Sydney
Games, ``in the end civilisations are judged by how they treat all their
people, especially the most vulnerable''. Henderson may find that
threatening, but I believe decent Australians will agree.

The truth is that Aboriginal people are denied justice only because the
political will is still missing in Australia, and it is up to those of us
paid to keep the record straight never to stop asking why.

Welcome to Australia, a film by John Pilger and Alan Lowery, will be shown
on the ABC TV on Tuesday week at 8.30pm.

This posting is provided to the individual members of this  group without
permission from the copyright owner for purposes  of criticism, comment,
scholarship and research under the "fair use" provisions of the Federal
copyright laws and it may not be distributed further without permission of
the copyright owner, except for "fair use."