***

Dear friend,

With East Timor's struggle for self-determination entering its final phase,
the solidarity movement in this country can take heart from having played a
key role in forcing the Howard government to break from 24 years of
bipartisan wrong policy on East Timor and take steps to help the
independence forces.

Action in Solidarity with Indonesia and East Timor (ASIET) is launching a
People's Investigation into successive Australian governments' ``special
relationship'' with the Indonesian regime. We support the setting up of an
United Nations War Crimes Tribunal to try and punish the Indonesian war
criminals, but we believe that the Australian accomplices of the Indonesian
regime's illegal occupation and policy of genocide in East Timor should
also be called to account.

This is a critical time in the Australian government's relationship with
Indonesia. After 24 years of bi-partisan foreign policy on East Timor, the
Howard government was forced by mass pressure to put a cosy relationship
with the Indonesian generals under considerable duress and move to stop the
slaughter.

The government is now seeking to normalise relations with the new
Indonesian government, and we want to urge that a new set of foreign policy
principles be adopted.

The idea of this investigation, which is designed to include those groups
and individuals who are also angry at 24 years of wrong foreign policy, is
to come up with findings which could then support a set of demands that we
can place on current and future governments to carry out a people-friendly
foreign policy on East Timor and Indonesia and the region.

The great solidarity movement with the Vietnamese people helped reverse an
unjust war and made it more difficult for the governments of the US,
Australia and other wealthy countries of the West to send their people to
fight in the interest of corporate profit. They called this the ``Vietnam
syndrome''.

ASIET is calling on you to join with us in attaching a high cost on any
government which attempts to re-establish a ``profits before human rights''
relationship with the Indonesian government. Perhaps we should call this
our campaign to promote an ``East Timor syndrome''.

With this in mind, ASIET will be holding a series of public meetings or
``hearings'' around the country at which we will be collecting testimonies
and statements from people who have been witness to the despicable role
that Australia has played. We will be seeking to collect testimonies from
East Timorese who have been forced to seek asylum in Australia and denied
refugee status, aid workers, solidarity activists, outspoken democrats and
others who want to ensure that Australian governments never get away with
such treachery again.

We will also be setting up a special web site, which will be featured in
the homepage of the ASIET web site, to highlight these testimonies. People
are encouraged to send in their statements and testimonies to be put up on
the web site, a selection of which will be compiled into an ASIET booklet
to be distributed as widely as possible. In a symbolic act, a copy will
also be presented to the federal government.

We appeal to you for your support and specifically that you could sponsor
this campaign. At the moment that sponsorship would mean putting your name
to a list of sponsors on a national poster which is going to printer next
week. You can get in touch by e-emailing ASIET, or looking at our web site
which has all of ASIET's contact details.

Action in Solidarity with Indonesia and East Timor (ASIET)
PO Box 458
Broadway NSW 2007
Australia
Tel: 61 (0)2 9690 1032