From: "Del" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 08:27:14 +1100

OUR CONSUMER CULTURE IS OUT OF CONTROL. Once, we shopped to buy what we
needed, period. Now that we don't need much, we shop for other reasons: to
impress each other, to fill a void, to kill time. A mere 20% of the earth's
population uses 80% of its natural resources. Our overconsumption is
killing the planet.

BUY NOTHING DAY is a simple idea with deep implications. It forces us to
think about the "shop-till-you-drop" imperative and its effects on the rest
of the world. When you buy nothing on November 26th, enjoy a break from the
shopping frenzy. Relish your power as a consumer to change the economic
environment.

HISTORY OF BND
Since its launch in the Pacific Northwest seven years ago, Buy Nothing Day
has grown into a worldwide celebration of consumer awareness and simple
living. Observed on the day after US Thanksgiving -- America's busiest
shopping day of the year -- the campaign has sparked debate, radio talk
shows, TV news items and newspaper headlines in 15 countries. Last year, an
estimated one million people made a pact with themselves and joined the
consumer fast for 24 hours. The ways in which people marked the event
worldwide were as diverse as the participants themselves. Many played with
the icons of our consumer landscape by taking off on mock shopping sprees,
by hawking "hope" and "happiness," or simply by opening up shop and selling
nothing.

The daredevils of the Ruckus Society, a California-based direct action
group, dropped a boxcar-sized banner ridiculing overconsumption smack in
the middle of the Mall of America. Other more down-to-earth types created
and distributed the Gift Exemption Voucher -- a polite way of saying, Let's
not get each other anything this year, out of principle. In Seattle,
helpful Buy Nothing Day celebrants offered a credit-card cut-up service
outside a downtown mall.

In America, Buy Nothing Day played out in some of the nation's last
remaining public spaces -- its malls. Costumed groups of revelers managed
to slip in and stay long enough to set up tables and suggest alternatives
to heavy holiday spending such as giving to charity. Spend time with loved
ones rather than money on them, was the message. Ultimately, security
guards grew wise to the nature of these non-consumer activities and most
BND crews were asked to leave. Buy Nothing Day just wouldn't be the same if
the networks didn't reject our opt-not-to-shop TV uncommercial. Every
season, we approach ABC, CBS and NBC to air the spot, and every year they
refuse us -- claiming our ad asking people not to buy anything threatens
"the current economic policy in the United States." CNN Headline News,
however, has taken our money and has aired the spot after their "Dollars
and Sense" program since 1996.

Most constitutional-law experts aren't bothered by the networks' refusal of
the spot, according to Robert Berner in The Wall Street Journal. Networks
aren't under any legal obligation to air it. But as Harvard Law School
Professor Laurence Tribe remarked, "At least the networks make it clear who
butters their bread." Unlike the networks, public access TV stations are
often happy to air the Buy Nothing Day uncommercial and many will do so for
free. Culture Jammers who manage to secure airtime can contact us at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] and we'll send you a free broadcast-quality
version of the spot. This turn-of-the-millennium finds our world poised
between a sustainable rebirth and the final sale of its assets. Sensing the
urgency of the moment, many have chosen to cast their vote against a
"global economy" that's running us all out of our resources. Whatever your
motivations for "buying nothing," joining the campaign is a gesture of
consumer sovereignty that won't go unnoticed.

The shining hope for a revolution in human consciousness lies in the
actions of everyday people. So go ahead -- take the plunge! Find out what
it feels like to curb the shopping impulse for a day, and let others know
what you discover. You may just see the world in a new way.

(from the adbuster website http://adbusters.org/campaigns/bnd/index.html )