The Canberra Times
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news2/news5.shtml

Saturday, 4 December, 1999
Plan allows access to health data

The Federal Government confirmed yesterday plans to make large amounts of
Medicare data available to insurance companies, law firms and state health
bodies.

But the body that manages Medicare, the Health Insurance Commission, said
private patient information would remain confidential.

HIC spokesman Bryan Richards said the commission planned to provide access
to information on issues such as the number of consultations by doctors in
a set period, or data on how many specific pathology tests were ordered.

The Australian Doctors' Fund said earlier the HIC's plan contradicted
privacy safeguards outlined in its annual report.

"The HIC's plan conflicts with assurances given elsewhere in the report
about privacy safeguards for patient information," ADF executive director
Stephen Milgate said.

"The HIC is either a custodian of confidential information under strict
privacy laws or it is a commercial organisation intent on selling its
information to the highest bidder.

"It cannot be both and it is about time we knew the truth of where this
organisation is heading."

Dr Richards said that the commission simply wanted to make more data
publicly available.

"In 25 years of managing personal health information through administration
of Medicare and Medibank and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme and
childhood immunisation and so on, the HIC has amassed a large amount of
data which the Government believes should be made more available to improve
the health care of Australia," Dr Richards said.

"The HIC does plan under its new information agenda to make aggregate
information available increasingly and in the public domain and we already
provide a huge amount of data now via our web site and through a number of
publications."

However, he said the commission had no plans to sell private patient
information.

"We certainly have no plans to get into the business of selling information
and certainly not selling personal health information that identifies
individuals."

Dr Richards said the commission would only charge for the data if the
information had to be presented in a different way.

"We just charge on a cost recovery basis as we always have done," he said.

"The Australian Doctors Fund has clearly misunderstood our strategic
purpose." - AAP

This posting is provided to the individual members of this  group without
permission from the copyright owner for purposes  of criticism, comment,
scholarship and research under the "fair use" provisions of the Federal
copyright laws and it may not be distributed further without permission of
the copyright owner, except for "fair use."