EARTH MATTERS can be heard on 3CR in Melbourne Sunday 11am, 2XX Canberra
Tuesday 10am, 8CCC Alice Springs Sundays between 8-9pm, 2NCR Lismore Friday
10am, 5UV Adelaide Thursday 2pm, 7LTN Launceston Monday 7:30pm, 2VOX
Wollongong between 9-10am & much more!!

Earth Matters
Program 94b

Juliet Fox
3CR Community Radio
ComRadSat Program 25/2/2000
INTRO : DAVID SUZUKI voice
OUTRO : "... see you next week."
DURATION : 27'10" (frogs til around 268'30")

David Suzuki: "Naked Ape to Superspecies"

On Wednesday February 23rd Canadian environmentalist David Suzuki addressed
a Melbourne audience at the Dallas Brooks Hall, as part of the
Transformations Public Lecture Series. The focus of his talk was related
largely to his recent co-authored book - "Naked Ape to Superspecies" and in
his speech he gives a personal perspective on humanity and the global
eco-crisis.

Today on Earth Matters we hear the first half of David Suzuki's talk where
he outlines how the population explosion, hyper-consumption and
globalisation have had dire consequences, and how the world's "successes"
and "advances" must really be put into perspective.

We hear how the major changes have happened over the last century, with
40-50% of the earth's land mass now totally transformed by humankind.=20

Finally, David states that while all this is indeed bad news, we simply
can't afford the luxury of denial. We must accept that we are part of
nature and that nature has very definite limits.

IN: "The book is =85"
OUT: "=85 in areas that are not natural."
DUR: 25'30"

SECOND HALF NEXT WEEK!