The International Whale Commission is meeting in Adelaide from 3-6 July. On
Tuesday the vote will be taken on the establishment of the South Pacific
Whale Sancturary.

Join activists outside Adelaide Convention Centre, North Tce from 7.30 am
on Monday morning. We need to try to change some votes. Formerly pro whale
voters such as:  Denmark, Ireland, Switzerland, Oman, Spain, South Africa
and Russia will be abstaining instead of voting for the sanctuary.

We need placards and people, don't abstain vote yes.

And there are a whole raft of Caribbean nations whose no vote, financed by
Japan, who need to be moved from their no vote to abstention.

 From the Greenpeace site "The International Whaling Commission (IWC) is
meeting on the 3-6 July in Australia. Both Australia and New Zealand, with
the full support of all South Pacific countries, are proposing that the
South Pacific Ocean be declared a whale sanctuary by the IWC and be
permanently off limits to commercial whaling.

Japan is working to resume large scale, commercial whaling worldwide and so
is opposed to the South Pacific whale sanctuary. Japan is lobbying other
countries, in particular Caribbean countries, to vote against this
proposal. The vote takes place on 4 July and we are concerned that we may
be two or three country votes short of creating the sanctuary.

Greenpeace have identified three countries who might be persuaded to vote
the right way and help save the whale sanctuary. If you want to help save
the whales, please send letters to the Prime Ministers of St Kitts and
Nevis, Dominica and Ireland. [This can be done from the Greenpeace site
<www.greenpeace.org>]

When you enter your mailing address and email address below, e-mail and fax
messages to these Prime Ministers will automatically be created and sent
with your name and address added to the message."

See you Monday morning
Denise Tzumli