short report
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dear friends,

Many thanks to those of you who forwarded the earlier posts re the World
March of Women campaign for your support of the campaign.

Just a short note to let you know that Saturday night's World March of
Women song and dance fest at Nexus Cabaret in the centre of Adelaide - one
of many held around the country - was a great success!  We were
magnificently entertained by a line-up of performers who inspired and moved
us with music and song - some of it traditional, some of it original - that
was a feast for ears and mind and soul and spirit. There was lots that was
very funny, good gender politics and good fun. The Trade union choir sang a
very upbeat, jaunty little number about the "advantages" of capitalism, the
casualisation of labour and the whole catastrophe. One line I recall was:
"environmental disasters are good for the earth - they create more jobs"!!

We had the Southern Women's Community choir, the Trade Union choir, the
Hera choir, the Gepps Cross Girls High School rock group, a wonderful duo:
Miranda Bradley and Sue Pratten and a soloist, Eileen Darley who sang us
into the night with "Bread and Roses", the song inspired by the textile
workers' strike (many of whom were women) in Lawrence, Massachusetts in
1912. It is also the song that in 1995 inspired the women of Federation des
Femmes du Quebec when they walked from Ottawa to Toronto.

Right at the beginning of the night, Kaurna elder, Aunty Josie Agius
welcomed us to Kaurna land. We were also very fortunate to have Katrina
Power, Chairperson of Tandanya, who travelled to Adelaide from Port Augusta
to be our speaker for the evening. Katrina's speech about poverty and
violence was uplifting - full of warmth and humanness and fresh insight.

We had a full house, a great audience who obviously had a great night out.
There are many, many thank you's to be made. When time allows, I'll write
in more detail to give you a fuller picture of the rich tapestry of all the
many women's contributions which together wove a fantastic night.

Meanwhile, these two little notes: towards the end of the evening we all
sang along with the three choirs:

"Freedom is coming,
Oh yes I know,
Freedom is coming ..."

As we were all singing together, a friend took my arm and confided: "I
don't feel so despairing now."  It was really a very uplifting night - for
many.

At the very end of the night after everyone else had left, Sharon Howe and
I were working with some of the Nexus staff to clean up, both the sound
technician and the barman said what a great night they thought it had been.
They'd enjoyed it too!

all the best,

Cathy Picone