I'd like to know just where (& how) they get their information from since
there's seldom any balance to it. Where are any of the other groups
interviewed - why haven't they been approached, or should I bother asking.

M1 protesters to use 'black' tactics
http://www.theage.com.au/frontpage/2001/04/27/FFXW01TT0MC.html

By SIMON JOHANSON
AGE ONLINE
Friday 27 April 2001, 11:26 AM

Radical black-clad anarchists plan to use similar tactics to those which
sparked clashes between police and demonstrators in Canada last week to
shut down the Australian Stock Exchange during May Day protests next Tuesday.

And students across Victoria are being urged to "strike" to attend the
protests by activists handing out leaflets on high school campuses.

Anarchists attending a conference at Melbourne University this weekend,
organised to coincide with M1 protests, will rehearse "black block" tactics
used during violent clashes with riot police at a recent Summit of the
Americas in Quebec City, attended by US president George W Bush.

The claims have prompted fears May Day demonstrations may spark scenes
similar to those in Quebec City where anti-globalisation protesters tore
down concrete and chain-link security barricades and police responded with
tear gas.

But other groups under the "M1 Alliance" banner, a coalition of labor,
environment, human rights and political organisations, dismissed claims of
violence, saying the demonstrations will be peaceful.

"We are organising a non-violent action of civil disobedience," said M1
alliance spokeswoman Sarah Peart.

Ms Peart said protesters may also target other businesses in Collins
Street, including a McDonalds restaurant and the offices of power company
Yallourn Energy.

Anti-corporate demonstrations will take place outside all capital city
stock exchanges in Australia on May Day. The Melbourne blockade begins at
7am and ends at 11am with demonstrators and unionists marching up Collins
Street.

The radical tactics planned by anarchists involve a "unified block" of
militant protesters attempting to breach security around the Collins Street
stock exchange on May 1, said anarchist conference organiser, Andrew (who
refused to give his surname), working at the alternative bookshop,
Barricade Books, in Brunswick.

'Black block' protesters act "autonomously from the rest of the protest and
usually consist of more militant protesters," he said.

Tessa Toumbourou, a St Leonard's College student in Brighton and member of
left-leaning political youth organisation, Resistance, said students had
set up stalls and handed out leaflets at schools across the state.

"I'm working with other high schools students in lots of different high
schools around Melbourne," she said.

"We have had a good response. Due to S11 (the World Economic Forum protests
in October last year) a lot of kids have heard about it and want to be
involved," Ms Toumbourou said.

The Australian Stock Exchange building in Melbourne is believed to be
closing for the duration of the protests.

However, an ASX spokesman said the stock exchange operated electronically
and trading would be unaffected by any demonstrations on Tuesday.

"We recognise there might be some temporary inconvenience. (But) it will be
a normal business and trading day for the Australian Stock Exchange on May
1," the spokesman said.

"What happens out side in the street is a matter for police," he said.

Police have issued a traffic warning for the central business district on
the day.