Dear all...

You would probably know that the Refugee Freedom Bus has been at Port
Hedland for the last few days. On Friday we arrived, applied for
visiting approval at the Heldand Detention Center, and hung out. On
Saturday, three of us visited people inside the detention center from 10
till 5 and were handed an eight page doccument by one of the people
commencing a hunger strike that night- (I'll attempt to send an email
about that in the next few days)- while the others braved the Invasion
Day festival on the main street in the Port. Sunday we attempted to
visit at 9am and were refused access by ACM. We saw a paddy wagon going
around the back of the detention center and, thinking people that were
detained might be being arrested, we followed it.

What followed was one of the most traumatic and uplifting and
emotionally devetating days of my life.

We approaced the fences - still about 50 meters away from people who
have been systematically hidden from human contact - and waved. The
people behind the fences asked us, almost suspiciously, what we were
there for, and when we said that we were friends they started to
frantically try to communicate. They asked us to move further around the
fence until we reached a section where they were only 2 meters from us.
There was a mass of children and women in the courtyard and when they
saw us the children ran to the fence and started chanting "Freedom!
Freedom! Freedom!" and the women asked us why Australians hate them so
much and we started  to cry and say we are so sorry and they started to
cry. People who spoke english approached the fence and started pouring
out their stories. They kept saying please tell Australians we are human
beings, we are not animals, we are not criminals.  We want Freedom. We
want Freedom.

Then everyone started desperately shouting out their codes and names, so
people on the outside would be allowed ot make contact with them. We got
out pens and paper and for the next two hours it felt like we did
nothing but record peoples details and requests for contact and numbers.

Many people pleaded for contact with the outside world and told us they
were good people, people would see that if they met them, or talked to
them.They asked us if Australian people really thought what was said on
talkback radio, and channel 9 news and if we thought people in Port
hedland really thought they were monsters. And we told them that EVERY
step of our long journey we have met good people; people who cared;
people with compassion, and we were so sorry for the people who didn't.

We exchanged names and then people started calling out our names to get
us to move to a section of the fence to talk to them. We spoke to person
after person recording details of their story and promising to pass them
on to the media and other Australians.

They called us brothers and sisters.

I forget how it started now, but all of a sudden there was hundreds of
bits of paper, stories, contact details, pictures, pleas, wrapped around
bits of rock with ripped washing cloth, or stuffed inside tennis balls
being thrown over the fence. We read each one and promised that we would
pass their information on, that we wouldn't let them join the list of
forgotten people.

We told them what we'd been doing, and they said that when they'd heard
we were coming they didn't believe it. The'd been told that people were
coming from Sydney before and they had never come. We played Cat Stevens
songs on the guitar at a detainee's request. We passed on mesages from
people in perth, showed them banners and placards from groups in sydney
and melbourne and perth and contacted the media. We tapped out rhythms
on djimbe drums we'd brought, and coconut husks we found in the
sand-dunes. We drummed and danced and talked and threw t-shirts over the
fences. They threw gifts over the fences of fruit and iced water and
then appologised at the meagerness of their offerings. The children
threw over their toys.

They spoke so eloquently of their survival and suffering and hope and
loss of hope and we made jokes and sang we love you back to them when
they sang it to us.

And then we were asked to pack up. And then we were asked to leave. And
then we were told we were being "disoredly" - that the songs been
singing all day, the chants of "We love you! We thank you" were
"inciting a riot". And then three of us - the same three that visited
the detention center the day before - and one twelve year old activist
from Bellingen were arrested.

We spent the next day preparing for court and dividing up the messages,
while the others from the bus went back to the detention center.

The reason I'm telling you this is becaus we are about to leave Port
Hedland, and these people behind. One of the letters from over the fence
is a request for urgent help to prevent a deportation, and this needs to
be acted on as soon as possible. But more generally I fear that the
spurt of hope they recieved from our short contact will soon ferment
back into depression if we dont do everything we possibly can to relieve
the dehumanising monotony of their detention.

We have three request for your action:
1/ to register for helping out with the prevention of the deportation -
I will send more details when we have them
2/ to register for writing a letter to one of the people that sent us a
message over the fence at Port Headland. Please only reply if you are
actually able to follow through with this, it is important that no-one
is left out by mistake or good intention.
3/ To send contacts for Iraqi, Iranian, Bangaladeshi, Kashmir, Syrian,
Sudaneese, Palestinian, Shri Lankan and Angolan community organisations
that would be interested in being involved in writing support.

Please send all of this to  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

We will attempt to send you scans of the letters so that you have an
idea of where they are at...
in action
freedom bus people xoxoxo

.

This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain confidential
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, use, disseminate,
distribute or copy this message or attachments. If you have received this message in
error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this message. Any views
expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender
expressly, and with authority, states them to be the views the University of
Technology Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and
defects.
CRICOS Number:  00099F