Tensions

By Keysar Trad
MuslimMediaWatch & IslamicSydney.com
Tuesday, January 7, 2003

Keysar Trad, Sheikh Taj el-Din Al Hilaly's official translator and
assistant, gives us his account of what happened.

Sheikh was pulled over by highway patrol because a plastic angle
building strip was protruding out his window (about 5 cms protrusion).
The officer took his license and made him wait in the car, whilst he was
waiting for them to make their routine checks, the officer kept the
Mufty in the car in the heat in the middle of the day, he was kept there
for a little over 20 minutes.

A crowd naturally began to form as this was about 1.5 kms from the main
mosque on the very busy King Georges Rd.

20 mins later they advised him that the rego had just expired on his
car. He told them that he was not aware of this as this is something
normally handled by the office.

The officer insisted on a full body search in public and a full search
of the car. The Mufty told him that this would create a scene as a large
crowd had formed and volunteered to go with him to the station where he
would willingly submit to a search.

The officer told him that he has to search him right there and then. One
of the neighbours came to interpret and said to the officer that this
would be seen by the onlookers as a major insult to the religion. The
officer then said that they could go in the side street. Unfortunately,
at that stage, the side street was also full of onlookers.

An Arabic speaking officer came on the scene at this stage (he was not
there from the start) and the Mufty was offered to be taken to nearby
flats where he could be searched, this sounded ridiculous (to take him
to a strange house and ask the occupants to leave so that the police
could search him), he advised them again to take him to the station, the
officer called for more backup and some very burly officers came and
grabbed the interpreter, twisted his arm and pushed him to the floor.
The Mufty very calmly asked them to leave the young man alone as he grew
concerned over the way the young man was being handled. He appealed to
the officers to leave this young man alone, he touched the officer on
the arm or shoulder and pleaded with him to leave the young man alone.
At this stage, more reinforcements arrived, they grabbed the Mufty in an
aggressive manner, they cuffed him and slammed him onto one of their
vans and searched him in public, they emptied out his pockets and did a
full body search. During this process, the Mufty continued to appeal to
the onlookers for calm and he told the officers that he felt that they
were disrespectful and racist in their behaviour. After this rough
treatment, they realised that this effected his health and he was in a
grave condition and took him to hospital with the cuffs on, they removed
the cuffs in the hospital and told the hospital staff that he was
arrested for assaulting an officer. This is a ridiculous allegation to
lay against a 62 year old who had only recently had a triple bypass.

I spoke to many witnesses including the young man who was badly handled
by the police and they all expressed their shock and horror over the way
this police officer and the reinforcements handled the Mufty. When I
first called the police to find out how the matter could get so out of
hand, I received mixed messages from them.

Over the years, the Muslim community and the Mufty had established a
very good working relationship with the police. We should not allow the
actions of one over zealous officer to undermine this relationship. What
had transpired is disappointing, aggravating, disconcerting and alarming
from many different angles. This is likely to lead to further
misunderstanding on talkback radio. The Mufty did the right thing by
advising the officer not to subject him to a humiliating body search in
public on that busy road, especially as the officer was very
disrespectful. I could only imagine the reaction of onlookers to this
behaviour by the officer, especially being so close to the mosque.

Exacerbating this incident, the police issued a media statement
indicating that there would be a summons for: driving with a protruding
load, driving an unregistered uninsured car, resisting arrest and
assaulting police. He was pulled over of the five centimetre protrusion,
everything else was secondary, we are waiting to check the registration
papers to see whether the car is in fact out of registration as we have
not seen a renewal notice at the office, the Mufty said that they did
not return his drivers license to him, we still have not had access to
the papers.

We are not talking about a young person in a hotted up car, we are
referring to a 62 year old man who is also a figurehead, the actions of
the officer were out of hand, we have to remain calm and rational, we
should not allow this incident to undermine all the great work that the
community had done over the years.

--
http://www.islamicsydney.com/story.php?id=772