delrin or delron is the other name same stuff our legacy bushes and leadscrew nuts are made of
here in Aus its sold as delrin in eather black or white
Bill

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stickman" <serrad...@gmail.com>
To: "Legacy Ornamental Mills" <legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 1:55 AM
Subject: Re: Digest for legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com - 6 Messages in 2 Topics

All those pieces are made from delrin, which is a tough but easily
machined industrial-grade plastic.  My swords are "functional art",
designed for a lot of high-impact abuse.  This material stands up to
those demands better than any hardwood I've seen.   A lot of common
items are made from it, like the wheels on Hotwheel cars, plastic
gears, etc.  Unlike nylons or even ABS, it cuts very smoothly and
isn't chippy like polycarbonate.  Delrin is a trademarked name.  The
generic name is acetyl.  I only order it in black, though I believe
the uncolored version is an off-white.  It's available in both flat
and round stock as well.  The lighting in the bottom photo shows the
coloring, but all my pieces look like that.  Though there is no grain
in acetyl, I get that effect by sanding and then buffing with
jeweler's rouge, which impregnates the surface with a reddish tint.

At some point I've love to have a 3d scanner.  Aside from some old
pieces I have on my wall, I know an antique dealer who specializes in
S.E. Asian artwork and weapons.  I'd love to be able to do more
accurate reproductions.  Some of those old swords have engraved blades
and highly detailed carved and even jeweled handles.

- Jeff