Hi gentlemen,

Following up on an older story here, just to clarify that the bolt/
setscrew type needed to free up the MT2 taper piece in the headstock
is definitely 5/16" UNC - good guess Tim. It took me a while to find a
source for imperial (standard) fixings over here in Ireland, but
managed to find a classic car parts stockist in England - everything
imperial - excellent!! Having got my hands on the bolt, I have yet to
try removing my taper piece as my workshop is something akin to a
scrap yard to look at as I am in the process of rearranging the shop
layout- the previous layout was not working for me, and now I have
table saws, thicknessers, drill presses etc blocking my way to the OM.
However, that said, I managed to stretch over all that and reach the
headstock and at least the bolt fits. However, in addition to your
idea Tim I would recommend either oiling or greasing up both the
inside and outside of the taper before prying out with the bolt. Get
your hands on the pressurised oil or grease cans that come with the
thin length of plastic tube that allows you to direct the spray into
tight spaces - this will allow you to direct a spray of oil/grease
inside the 5/16 thread of the headstock directly onto the join of the
taper/headstock from the inside. I definitely intend doing this when I
get a chance to move everything back into place and give myself a bit
of space.

Craig