Hi Curt

You ask the question is the Mini-Arty a stepping stone and is it
intended to get people interested in CNC.

A BIG YES.

It is intend to be exactly that plus as Andy but in his email it can
act as a trainer whilst you wait for your money to grow to pay for a
bigger machine.

You and I know that there will always be people who say hand tools are
the way to work. I believe that is a purist viewpoint and that a fair
proportion of those craftsman who used hand tools back in the late
nineteenth and early twentieth century would have used power tools if
they had been available and they could afford them.

So I treat this purist viewpoint with a degree of skepticism. Now the
reason I bring this up is that I feel that there will be a similar
discussion in respect of Power Tools & CNC Tools.

Whether you produce your work by Hand Tools, Power Tools or CNC Tools
we should never forget they all require a specific skill set.  What we
are seeing is woodworking evolution and how it gradually perculates
down to the small shop and serious hobbyist.  The Mini Arty is not a
toy; it is not cheap but it should be cost effective for certain
people and the Mini Artys are selling already and by the way not just
to me.

I ordered mine last week as it will provide me with a mobile
demonstration vehicle and should help me sell the higher capacity
machines plus I want to use its carving capacity on a couple of
railway 00 gauge modelling projects that I have in mind.

You asked what the draw point(s) were, how about being able to carve
signs using off cuts of wood from local wood yards (at no cost) and
after 5 to 10 minutes work charging $50.00 to an outlet who will
probably charge twice as much to the end customer.  This is an actual
case, where the sign has a cat's name on it and how long it lived. It
does not say how it died as for that there is an extra charge.

Some people have done wonders with the manual Legacy machines, others
have gone from there on to the route of making there own CNC versions,
whilst those that are short on time or have no desire to build
machines have spent their hard earned money on CNC.

As someone who was one of the very first people selling
microprocessors (Motorola) back in 1975 I have seen this technology
develop markets we never even thought about.

So here is my prediction for the evolution of the Legacy Mini Arty,
Arty and Atisan et al. The next CNC machine will be able to read your
mind and transfer your thoughts into CNC code and then machine the
material.  Some guys will not be able to move in their shops for all
the naked female torsos that they had thought about, it is not that
far away.

Andy should have that machine ready in a couple of years time so you
had better get your Learning CNC Book out and start studying!

Best regards
Roger