Tim, When all is said and done I like my crank handle indexing method http://www.artscopes.com/legacyornamentalmill/tools/pungs_index_method/pungs_index_method.html This method is so easy and accurate, once you are set, you can even shut off the brain.
Mike

On 5/23/2012 8:17 PM, Tim Krause wrote:
This topic is one that has so many option talked about and seen through to
the end with good results.  When it's all said and done, my favorite method
is to use index plates with the correct number of holes for your job so
there is no chance of error.   Any way, for those new to the group, here's a
little history of some of the things I've tried.

http://artscopes.com/legacyornamentalmill/tools/index_system/index.html

It looks like I have to update it one more time.

From: "Dexter Bland"<dexterbl...@gmail.com>
To: "Legacy Ornamental Mills"<legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 2:50 PM
Subject: Re: New Index Method

Another way to mark the the holes needed is to use "white out" that we
used to use when we needed to correct mistakes made with a typewriter.
It stands out real well and scraps off easily once the job is done. It
will not help you determine WHICH holes to mark like the templates
shown here. Usually the simplist answer is the best answer to most
problems. Great idea.