Here is a podium that I made about a year ago. It is made of Walnut
(cut from N Alabama) with a Tung Oil finish (not sure how many coats)
that was sanded between each coat with steel wool. The top is made in
two pieces. The lower piece is glued and screwed to the shaft and then
the top just glued. I made sure the two pieces had the grain opposing
each other to keep it flat. The shaft is 3" and is cut with the barley
twist.