  From: curt george
  To: Legacy Google group
  Sent: Friday, July 20, 2012 2:29 PM
  Subject: How to get the best finish cut on the Legacy

  Hello Everyone.
  Its been a little quite as of late, (I know its summer and lots of people are
vacationing. As a matter of fact I too will be gone next week My self. ;-). )

  How to get the best finish cut on the Legacy, This one has been on my pet
projects list for a long time.
  As everyone here knows, (at least I hope you know.)  Legacy has in the past
added a second motor onto  the head stock of there machines in the past, On the
Wood chuck this was done by the of mating up a drive gear of the motor with the
indexing plate of the Legacy/Woodchuck. and on the models 2000-2200 this was
done with a belt/motor linkage.
  And some of our members Big Bill, Russv,& M.Pung have also done there own
versions.
  The concept is pretty simple, Move the turning faster so you can...  lots of
things. sand the turnings on the Legacy, have the drive screw  move the
carriage more slowly while the spindle is turning.(more rpms, less of a cut per
rev., the better finish.) And it makes template following much easer. And the
list could go on...
  If you don't believe me, try this trick, I use to get a much better finish on
the legacy when I did not own a motor drive, I use to spin the spindle twice of
every one rev, of the carriage. Or better yet, I used one of my children to
spin the spindle as I moved the carriage. (I did this a few times, Now My kids
wont come into the garage.) (I don't know if that's a good or bad result to
this test?) ;-)
  The gear linkage is to fast/slow (depending if you are looking at the spindle
or carriage moving.) A third way is to have the motor driving the spindle and
pull/push the carriage at a slow pace You can get a very nice finish this
way.Or you can do it the other ways around, drive the carriage with the motor
and turn the spindle by hand... (I've not done that one yet. Just thought of

  So any new ideas on how to tackle this problem? I'm sure there are a 1000 way
it could be done. Lets talk about your way or ideas on how to get the Legacy to
make the best cut possible.