I will try to post some pictures  if I can  get my computer to work.
On Dec 2, 2012 9:29 PM, "curt george" <curtgeo...@wowway.com> wrote:

> Thanks Gene
> It sounds pretty good, If you can find it, please copy and post the video
to the group?
> I too will look for it as well.
> I have some ideas that I will be also tiring ,( Lets see if I can make a
better mouse trap?) (so to speak.)  ;-) .
> What I was attempting to do was make a ribbon twist turning.I've done
this type of turning before but not on the length  ( 5' ) and it was a
years ago since I last tried this type of cutting.
> To cut the ribbon twist you cut from the side of the spindle with a long
cutter/router bit, I went form 2 1/4" to something close to 3/4" on a taper
before I stopped.although I was taking light cuts, the vibration was to
much.
> I know this was an extreme turning but ... it was just for fun. (in this
case No Fun. since it did not turn out.) ;-(
> Any ideas on making a better steady rest Please let me know? I will let
you all know how everything works out latter.
> Have a good night all.
> C.A.G.

find it again. anyway the gentlemen made a holder  like the one Tim  is
writing about.
>> Differance being the holder is mounted to the front of the router
table.  About 2 or 3" from the bit.  It moves with the table so no
vibration will get to the
>> bit before it is cut.  Nice thing about this is it is always out of the
way as you mill a long project.
>> Gene
>> "
>> On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 11:28:48 PM UTC-4, Tim wrote:
>>>
>>> I saw this tonight over on Legacy's cnc forum from Dan1931.   He said
it was ok to share this idea with others.

>>> Here is a center rest I designed and use canes and other thin work. The
cane in the picture is 1.5 in dia. by 32" long. Done with a barley twist
with along spiral. I used a 1" barley bit set for a 4" bit twist so it
would not have a lot of spring. I then cut thru wiht a .375 Dia end mill.
>>> I made the carrier from 1/2 Baltic Birch with reinforced corners. I cut
the adjustment slots on my Artisan mill. The white plastic is HDPE. It is
available from Tap Plastics. Cost only $5.00.
>>> The plastic parts are 7 " long so there would not be any vibration or
bumping. It is always in contact with the part. I cut small V in the
Plastic to hold the part and have 1.25 in spacing between the blocks. This
allowed me to cut with the 1" barley twist bit while still supporting the
Cane. I provides both lateral and vertical support.