Curt,

For a number of reasons, the prices of CNC machines are likely to continue
to drop dramatically.  On the other hand, the price of traditional wood
working tools will drop much more slowly.  One market is growing and the
other is not.  Then there are projects like this one that's leading to cnc
routers that will be functional "toys.":
http://www.aquickcnc.com/about/

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ajquick/cnc-building-blocks?ref=card

I am trying to start a cnc-based business, as I try to learn how make
things with power tools.  I actually like the personal challenge of power
tools more.  In both cases, there is a whole lot to learn.

Begat