Hi Begat,

I've seen some of General's line of cnc's in person.  The Igus rails you are
pointing out are used on the lower line. I can't complain about Igus, well
engineered components.  General is using one of Igus's newer linear systems
(relatively). The linear rails are made from extruded aluminum and use a
proprietary plastic bushing.  This style of bushing has been used in
woodworking machinery for several years.  Earlier DIY-CNC plans specified using
round rails and Igus's Drylin bushings (more stout version) as a means of
linear travel.  These are designed to work in dirty environments.  So I can add
they have a track record but I can't personally testify to the suitability.

I did notice that my vendor that sold the lower line of General CNC's dropped
the model in favor of the higher end General machine that had standard block
style of linear bearings.  They would not admit why they dropped the other
machine.   I can only speculate poor performance judging by the specification
of the spindle and motor combinations.

I doubt the I-picture software is unique and worst case, it's written
specifically for a board in the machine that drives the stepper motors of the
machine.  Did you see anything about the ability to import stl files?  I highly
doubt it.  The grey scale conversion leads me to believe a much lower tech
software scheme.  The cheap machines if using proprietary boards and software
will leave you with a door stop in the future.  I'd say buyer beware.

-Tim

PS, No surprise, I'm still Alive :-)