<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-kyY7vqXxxdM/UY9_lgkFqlI/AAAAAAAAO98/GU02HOVsQ6s/s1600/image006.jpg>

I have modified my Legacy mill extensively. Among the mods was the addition
of a MT3 tailstock with ball bearings and a far more reliable leadscrew
adjustment. The engagement of the tailstock to the frame rails is trough a
pair of 14" long aluminum/UHMW sliders with eight 1/4" lock bolts. The
tailstock has about 1" of travel and I have marked the center line and use
the tailstock block as a fixed distance above centerline to set the DRO for
the Z axis when I change bits. I don't need to remember the Z-height there.
I left a label-maker tape with the measurement to .001".

The frame has limitations on stifness but the 20 pound tailstock adds to
stability. It also doesn't move under load. Reloads of repetitive parts is
fast thanks to the leadscrew adjustment. The tailstock locks in length with
a 1/2" allen bolt seen on the top of the block.

The entire mill has be heavily modified. I've replaced every slide with
linear bearings that ride on 1" rails. The rails on all three axis's add a
lot of stifness to the frame of the machine. I have machined a complete
apron and Y-axis slider as well. The router Y-axis slide is very stiff,
moves with one finger and has an elaborate system of travel locks, DRO's
and a machined X-axis lead screw block that is considerably more stiff and
repeatable than the one supplied. I can replicate parts to within a couple
of thousandths. I don't have to leave a setup in place to make another
part. I can replicate all the settings very precisely so long as I remember
to write them down! The router slides with one finger effort on the Y-axis
too so you can actually use the pattern following feature.

<https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Xqr_207xjyg/Sa8EGCypdkI/AAAAAAAAAa4/adVsaSA-Xfw/s1600/004.JPG>

There's almost nothing left of the original Y-axis and Z-axis. The lead
screw was welded together from the two pieces and almost all end=paly
removed with oli rubbed bronze thrust bearings.

<https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-_ggakW98UD0/Sa8EFfzjXTI/AAAAAAAAAaw/M52Fh5fS89A/s1600/003.JPG>

The apron and X-axis DRO sensor. The X-axis lead screw lock is very stable
ow and has no end-play slop.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-WtIGHK27Hps/Sa8EHoANzTI/AAAAAAAAAbI/RgRdfgAxv5o/s1600/009.JPG>

<https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-j4fECgbGWt8/Sa8EIaR3tQI/AAAAAAAAAbQ/4Rd22Z2MPfE/s1600/011.JPG>

<https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-esoOiLRt40I/SifwvXIrRKI/AAAAAAAABHE/UUexIgZws6s/s1600/038.JPG>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tUpDV56QfUs/SifwxxR8vRI/AAAAAAAABHY/RnvbLRNOkSs/s1600/043.JPG>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hKOUeI6YmD0/SifwtyBg9sI/AAAAAAAABG4/h9RlJFvjEsY/s1600/035.JPG>

I added a dust collection hood. It works pretty well but limits visibility
a little. I should have added an LED lamp under there!

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xBX22n3Ek8M/Sifw3iXRmoI/AAAAAAAABIE/0vcD6Vk55J0/s1600/054.JPG>