I've yet to try it myself, but I've read that mixing fine sawdust (sanding
dust?) w/a binder like wood glue can make a putty that matches the wood
you're working with since it is colored by the wood itself.

I understand that this technique may not be relevant in your case as it
sounds like you're going accentuate the imperfections with black.

One other note: When my father was working on a redwood burl table, he
found some areas that needed to be filled.  I ran across some products for
filling cracks with silver or turquoise - probably something similar to, or
the same as, what Mac referred to.

- John