Mac,
As long as you are using set indexes and not using marks you drew on the surface of the piece, every single cut will be the same. there will be no chance of large and small spacing. I start by getting my diameter, minus 1/16 I waste in the cut so 4-1/8 would be 4" I then figure out how wide I want my reed, lets say 3/8" or .375. I take 4 X pi 3.14= 12.56 the I divide 12.56 by my reed size .625 = 20.096 Close enough to 20 to achieve the desired effect. Crank handle index would be 20 divided by 4 = 5 inch pitch gearing.
Mike
OK
On 3/27/2014 12:14 AM, mwfos...@earthlink.net wrote:
Mike,

You bring up an interesting point.  That generated my question:
How do you determine the correct (most effective) reeding bit to use on a project? If you need a post (cylinder) that needs to have an outside diameter of 4 1/2 inches - how do you determine the correct bit to use to achieve a proper reeding job. (Meaning the first reed and the last reed you cut come together perfectly - to the point where you can not tell where the start/finish reed was because they all look alike.) My luck, I'd end up short or long - meaning I'd need to either "shrink" or "expand" my last 2 or 3 cuts to close it up. In this case you'd easily be able to tell where my start/finish point was (and you'd hide it towards the back of the project). I bet that when Legacy was demonstrating reeding at The Woodworking Shows they were using a bit and cylinder combo that created the "Perfect" final product - something they had calculated out long ago.

Leads me to ask: Did/does Legacy (or Magnate) have a table that provides the needed info? (i.e. - if you use bit #1234, you can get near perfect results on cylinders with diameters of w.w", x.x", y.y", or z.z". Using that bit with any of the listed diameters will allow for proper "closure" between the initial and final reeding cuts on that cylinder.

Thanks for the discussion - and looking forward to more on the topic.
For starters, what are the "ideal" cylinder sizes to pair up with the reeding bits that Magnate currently sells?

    From: "Okla Mike (Liltwisted)"
    Sent: Mar 26, 2014 7:39 PM
    To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
    Subject: Re: Magnate router bits

    I spoke with Magnate today at getting a bit made.  It will cost
    $240 for one.  But at 10 or more it will cost $90 each.  Anybody
    want to get a special bit made like a reeding bit with a profile
    of a 1" rope?  Or a carbide version of this one?
    http://ornamentalmills.com/turningaround/Reed.htm

    Mike
    OK