Don,
Wow - very informative write-up.  Yes, I am very interested in seeing a SketchUp model.  Can you show where you place the plugs (temporarily I assume - until you move them to the ends to mount the assembly onto mill.  Can you also explain when and how you fill cavity with foam?
Thank you for sharing your experience & wisdom.
Thanks again.
From: Don Butler
Sent: May 2, 2014 9:54 AM
To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
Subject: outdoor hollow columns

In my practice with the LOM I have built a few outdoor columns. The
peculiar problems come with the harsher conditions outdoor woodwork has to
endure.
A solid column may crack due to the outside material shrinking much faster
than the core. I see 4x4 posts cracked like that all the time. To head that
problem off I make hollow columns.
Now getting the workpiece ready for the mill presents considerable
difficulty but is well worth the effort. Tight, strong joinery is essential
as is using a weatherproof glue. The one I use is Titebond III. There are
others, I haven't tried them.
The joinery I employ is to cut birdsmouths on the long edges of the boards.
To clarify: for a six sided figure the edge cuts are 30º and 60º on one
edge and the other edge is 90º.
A good way to achieve the glue up is the make 2 six sided plywood plugs to
go inside (They will be needed later anyway to mount the work in the mill)
and two stands shaped to hold the pieces from the outside. The first three
pieces are glued up and then the other ones are fit after the glue sets.
If anybody is interested I'll make up a SketchUp model and post some
drawings.
Best regards.
Don